No Snooker in HD ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Boozyuzi, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    World Championships from Sheffield start tomorrow morning and there's no sign of any of it being available in HD. A wee bit dissapointed as I would have thought that it would be easy to cover. Maybe we will see the semi's and final in HD when they change the table set up - I doubt it though.

Both tables are covered live on interactive though.

2. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    I would love to see the snooker in hd, i'd have thought with it being pretty stationary and no camera movement then it would look nice. Hope we do get some in hd though.

3. SmokeyBubbles

SmokeyBubbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Think I remember reading somewhere that it would be very unlikely because of the cost of the HD camaras and the fact that all the BBC's are already tied up. Seems stupid as Snooker is the second most watched sport after football.

Mind you - the Snooker always looks superb on my TV anyway:rotfl:

4. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Although I like to watch snooker and agree it would be easy to do,I can't see that HD would benefit it massively.
    Know what I mean ?
    To benefit from HD,you need a programme that benefits from the greater detail and I just don't think snooker comes under that remit.
    Football,for example,benefits from HD in that the whole stadium comes 'alive',with the crowd actually being recognisable,rather than a blur.
    Snooker concentrates on a very specific area,which boils down to a green table and some coloured balls.
    I just don't think snooker would benefit from HD much,sorry.
    I've no doubt it'll come,eventually,but I would venture they'll concentrate on sports where HD's benefits shine through more first.

5. SmokeyBubbles

SmokeyBubbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Agreed - however advertisers of the event would be a little pleased:rotfl: Anything to sharpen up their signs would be a great benefit!

6. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I beg to differ with the view that snooker wouldn't benefit from HD greatly.

As soon as the cameras pan out, the snooker balls end up with a blurred edge, also a couple of the colours become difficult to distinguish. There are things HD would resolve.

It annoyed me last year that no snooker was HD and I was convinced they would change it this year..............but as you say, it seems they are not :mad:

7. oldman100

oldman100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    If it's a case of finance I have to admit I'd consider a whole shed load of other sports before giving Snooker :boring: the HD makeover.

8. Stackers

Stackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71

Agreed.....Premier League Darts on Sky for example would be better in HD.....surely this is way ahead of snooker now! :)

9. JimmyT

JimmyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Funny you should mention that, i was in the front row at the darts in Reading and they were using HD cameras. Strange the chose not to broadcast it that way.

10. Stackers

Stackers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I was at the Aberdeen matches (albeit further back) couldn't get close enough to see what camera's they use but if they are HD surely this is the way to go!!

Top Tungsten! :)

11. JimmyT

JimmyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I should have written the models down but didnt want to look like a muppet. I think it was a canon lense on it, but the camera itself wasnt Canon.

12. pob

pob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I've told my brother (who is a techie at the Crucible Theatre) to ask the BBC bods if they know why there is no HD coverage. Two years ago the cameras for one of the two tables were HD cameras, but obviously there were no HD broadcasts back then.

Cheers

Phil

13. uno

uno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I must admit I thought the snooker would be filmed in HD this year by BBC resources i think one of the problems being is that it goes on for quite a while and it means having an HD ob unit tied up when it could be making more money doing 3 or 4 different events and its not practical to keep rigging and de- rigging units so they can go off to do other things like this weekend I think both unit 10 and 12 the main HD units are being used for the Marathon although in sd mode just needed for the amount of cameras and VT available in them.
    But personally thinking the real reason is cost with the amount of coverage the BBC provide it would cost alot more for the broadcast links to get the pictures back to BBC a HD circuit is just under double an SD one and when you have to provide it for upto 10 hours a day very costly.
    By the way as i've mentioned before Skys darts coverage and Greyhounds could be done in HD from next week if Sky would give the go ahead as already shot using HD cams and ob units just again down to costs.

14. chaddy

chaddy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    its proberbly being filmed in hi-def for achrive purposes.

15. Martin J.

Martin J.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Everyone seems to make this mistake. As posted before, all the new Canon lenses have the HD logo on them. The camera behind the lens could be anything, usually it's SD. Sadly, even if a camera has a HD logo it could still be being used in SD mode.

http://www.canon.com/bctv/index.html

I'm quite thankful there's no snooker in HD, it would mean absolutely no choice of material on BBC HD for almost two weeks, just wall-to-wall snooker. No thank you...

16. uno

uno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Martin- you are very right everybody just sees the HD lense and thinks its HD but when i did the Premier league darts on Sky at Nottingham and Wolverhampton, Bow Tie who film it for Sky were using HD cameras and lenses plus all hooked up to HD2 ob unit just sadly due the strange decision of Sky was all done in Sd