• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

No Sky signal - who should pay here?

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Well, yesterday we lost the satellite signal to our sky+ hd box, and it has been off ever since.

i have tried rebooting it from the wall, have followed instructions from Sky online about resetting the LMB etc but nothing is working, it is still saying "no satellite signal is getting to your box" etc.

We live in a communial block of flats, and i think there is one Sky dish on the roof somewhere for about 8 different rooms.

I rang Sky up and they said because our box is out of warrenty they could send an engineer round, but at a cost of (from) £65 - unless i buy Sky insurance which i don't particularly want to do.

The box is working fine, i have checked and swapped the HDMI cables, and there is a picture on the screen and i can access the menus, just no actual tv show picture.
This would all suggest that the dish has moved and caused a signal issue.

I knocked on the other doors in the flat last night and one person said they didn't have a tv and one said that they only have freeview but they have lost their signal too (all the others were out/not answering).

So, do I need to bite the bullet and ask a Sky engineer to come out and pay the £65, or should my letting agent deal with the issue? Our letting agent seem very good at taking money from us/charging us money, but very lazy in actually fixing a problem (it took nearly 4 months for them to fix a hole in the kitchen ceiling).

Nezben

Distinguished Member
I had this last year with my HD box (the first ones they launched with). Most channels would not get a signal at all.
I phoned them up and was on to them for over an hour telling them that i was paying them for a service that they were not providing to me because of the box.
Like they told you, my box was out of warranty and no amount of arguing and escalating it would they waive the £65 engineer visit.
In the end i got it down to £45 and a guarentee that i would get a brand new box.

So, looks like you will have to bite the bullet mate (or get more people in your block to help), i tried my hardest and all i got was £20 off. It is bad but its all in the small print.

Last edited:

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I wouldn't be phoning sky, id be calling the landlord first.
If they say the aerial/dish isn't their problem, then the repair cost is to be shared by everyone in the block, whether they use it or not.
That's flat life for you.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
I had this last year with my HD box (the first ones they launched with). Most channels would not get a signal at all.
I phoned them up and was on to them for over an hour telling them that i was paying them for a service that they were not providing to me because of the box.
Like they told you, my box was out of warranty and no amount of arguing and escalating it would they waive the £65 engineer visit.
In the end i got it down to £45 and a guarentee that i would get a brand new box.

So, looks like you will have to bite the bullet mate, i tried my hardest and all i got was £20 off. It is bad but its all in the small print.

I had the same situation with my original launch HD box. However, one phone call with a threat to cancel my subscription and they had an engineer on my doorstep the next day with a new box all free of charge. I don't even subscribe to sports or movies.

Miss Mandy

I'd be contacting the landlord first, this sounds like a dish problem to me. If it was only you that had an issue you could argue that an engineer visit for you box might be worth trying, but as its affected more flats it's unlikely to be that. If you get the landlord onto the case so that the dish can be check out at least once you know that's been done young an get a box sorted out yourself if you need to.

Nezben

Distinguished Member
I had the same situation with my original launch HD box. However, one phone call with a threat to cancel my subscription and they had an engineer on my doorstep the next day with a new box all free of charge. I don't even subscribe to sports or movies.

You must have been lucky then, i threatened with total cancel and even told them that i felt like i wasnt a valued customer. I subscribe to sports as well.

It sounds like your flat has a mutli-switch installed with takes care of all the satellite & freeview signals - If your neighbour has lost freeview also - it would suggest that this switch has failed...

I would contact the owner of the building to advise them of this...

In the past I have heard of a yearly charge for dwellings such as yours to cover the repair/replacement of these items - do you not have such a thing?

Look at the following to show what the switch does

Multiswitch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FZR400RRSP

Banned
If it does turn out to be your HD box, don't bother with SKY.
All the engineer will do is give you a 'new' box, and that will more than likely be a reconditioned one.
Just buy another used HD box from the sales forums here, or eBay.
£40 should get you one, easy.

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
i just rang the letting agency (we go through them rather than contact the landlord) and the lady said we need to get hold of the property management (i assume the people responsible for the building as a whole), so i am just waiting for a number for them to ring.

as far as i know we don't pay a yearly charge, but maybe there is some proportion of our rent that is taken to cover this.

wbabbington

I've been having issues with my communal Sky set up. First I did what I could to rule out any thing I could change, so I got Sky out to replace the box. This required a bit of threatening to leave to get a free call out (see the threads in Sky HD forum for the mantra 'polite persistence pays'!). After it still happened with a new box I checked with neighbours who reported a similar issue

With all that knowledge I went to the managing agents who said they would get someone to come out. But if the issue was found to be part of my setup then I would have to pay for this call out and any work that was needed. If the issue was outside my flat then they would pay for it. Having taken all steps to rule out an issue on my end I knew that the fault was outside. Sure enough out they came, found no issues in my flat and then found the dish wasn't up to scratch. It was all replaced at the managing agents costs.

Last edited:

krish

Distinguished Member
i just rang the letting agency (we go through them rather than contact the landlord) and the lady said we need to get hold of the property management (i assume the people responsible for the building as a whole), so i am just waiting for a number for them to ring.
No surprise the letting agency can't be bothered to do this themselves, the lazy thieving bastards
- the property management company are also likely to be lazy useless bastards (especially if they're :censored:rywide)

Last edited:

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Call up and threaten to cancel, insist on it and you will get a free call out. I have done this at least five times over the years.

Surely the aerial and the LNB attached to it (the thing which has 8 cables coming out of it, being one for each flat and looking at the dish) are Fixtures.

As such, being Fixtures, then surely they are totally the Landlord's responsibility?

As we all know(?) a satelite dish can be used to provide the Landlord's tenants with either a Sky service or a Freesat service. Which they take is a matter for them as individuals.

Understandably, tenants cannot go fitting satellite dishes to other people's (eg, the landlord's) property without his/their permission. This is why this landlord has had a dish fitted which serves 8 of his flats. It's his buidling and he had it done.

So the item provided by the landlord, which belongs to him and is his property, has gone wonky.

And so it's his Managing Agent who needs to be contacted to put matters right - and at the Landlord's cost too.

I guess if a tenant needs a faster solution, then the MA might be agreeable to the tenant arranging something, but surely, in this case it might well have to be at the tenant's cost.

Take your pick.

All IMHO.

logiciel

Your opinion is actually fact.:)
This is all to do with the landlord and nothing to do with Sky.
The rental agreement must make it clear what procedure is necessary when this kind of problem arises.
Sky can't do anything about communal installations so there's no point in trying to involve them.

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Well it appears to be the entire block that has a dodgy reception as the couple next door knocked this morning and asked if we had a problem.
we rang the managing company and they said someone had already reported it and someone was coming out to take a look today at some point (i hope he knows how high the flats are and the only way to get onto the roof is via a cherry picker).

i don't know how many of the individual flats within our block our landlord owns, as our next door neighbours (the ones who knocked this morning) own their flat - so are their own landlords essentially.

this is why it is all going through the management company. hopefully it will be resolved soon, otherwise we are going to find out what it is like without a tv (might be quite nice actually).

Well it appears to be the entire block that has a dodgy reception as the couple next door knocked this morning and asked if we had a problem.
we rang the managing company and they said someone had already reported it and someone was coming out to take a look today at some point (i hope he knows how high the flats are and the only way to get onto the roof is via a cherry picker).

i don't know how many of the individual flats within our block our landlord owns, as our next door neighbours (the ones who knocked this morning) own their flat - so are their own landlords essentially.

this is why it is all going through the management company. hopefully it will be resolved soon, otherwise we are going to find out what it is like without a tv (might be quite nice actually).

If the multi-switch has died or failed it will not be on the roof I wouldnt have thought - as it needs power and should be somewhere dry...

I am not sure - any I have worked on have been in the loft area - usually accessable from a landing -

Phil57

If it does turn out to be your HD box, don't bother with SKY.
All the engineer will do is give you a 'new' box, and that will more than likely be a reconditioned one.
Just buy another used HD box from the sales forums here, or eBay.
£40 should get you one, easy.

But why buy a second hand one, when you can firstly and very often successfully get one from Sky for free.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Phil57 said:
But why buy a second hand one, when you can firstly and very often successfully get one from Sky for free.

There's no guarantee you'll get one for free, and I for one cannot be bothered acting out a charade where I 'pretend' to threaten to leave them, when I've absolutely no intention of doing so!
Then you have to wait days, maybe weeks, for an appointment, then you have to take time off work to meet the engineer (box replacement technician)
Why go through all this when I can get a used box for £40 delivered to my work within a day or two, and I can fit it myself in seconds in my own time?

Graham27

Distinguished Member
Here is a site that shows the sort of installation you should have

IRS integrated reception systems

Interesting read!
Yeah, it was a smaller version of that which was in our loft. Only noticed it when I was moving out. Where I live now has some sort of bizzare set-up with a big, locked booster box thing in the utility room that all the cables feed into. It probably has nothing in it, and it's just another way they attempt to justify the ridiculous service charge :)

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Well, all sorted now, the guy came out yesterday apparently and now the signal is back working, he didn't go into our loft to find the switch either.

the only annoying thing about our sky is that although we have sky+ we only have one input, so we can only record programs we are currently watching - we can't record BBC1 and watch sky 1 at the same time etc.

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
Should have spoken to the guy and asked if there were any unused feeds on the switch thingy and how much to run an extra cable if there were as a backhander. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom