No Sky Signal/LNB

G

George Harrison

My Sky signal packed up at the end of last month, then the Digibox was stuck on standby. Sky sorted this out and provided a new box (at £65! :nono: ) which got it working. Well, the signal has become really bad again over the last week, usually giving me the message “No satellite signal being received”. Its actually stuck on this message right now. I’m not getting any signal (strength/quality) whatsoever.

I’ve got a feeling it could the LNB, which the 3 month warranty since the last repair should cover (right?). Also, i hear Sky don’t do dish realignments. Could it possibly be just that? If I remember rightly the signal strength was almost fine, but the signal quality kept jumping around.

Cheers

i cant see if they replaced just the box they would go on to guarantee and old lnb (unless this was replaced as well) as alignment can only be affected by the dish being moved ie by someone knocking it or a strong wind moving it, i think its fair to say that you cannot guarantee against that.
it could of course be a faulty new box fitted, but it does sound a little more along the dish/lnb/cable side of things,

I did start to get a picture (albeit a very rubbish one) but it appears to have gona again.

The point is i paid for them to fix my Sky and they obviously havn't dont it properly (the guy didn't even test the signal when he came). I dont see why i should pay another £65 for them to do what they should have done in the first place.

I also did a LNB reset. Didn't work.

how long ago was it done, i do know and understand what you mean about just paying £65 pounds,anyone would be a bit niggled and certainly point it out, but if it has been ok for say two and a half months or so and something else has brocken down,well you know what i am trying to say, also what package are you on and do you have sky plus, might be a good time to upgrade

It was done 03/09/2005, about 3 or so weeks ago. I dont expect it to break down again within the month.

Although the old digibox was stuck on standby, hence it was replaced, I think the LNB may be been part of the original signal problem to begin with. I just dont know why they didn't check the signal on their last visit.

I have the Sky World package. I dont have Sky+ nor and i intrested in getting it.

ok at three weeks i would defitely feel let down, sounds like he fixed a fault but did not check the problem, what i mean by that is you probably had more than one fault, but he went no further in his diagnostics than the first problem.
regarding the sky plus, never thought i wanted it till i got it, and it is a pity you did not read a thread on here recently, you could of got a new sky plus box (well refurbished, but 12 month guarentee)and new lnb for £49.00 pounds with no further cost and no multi room , but including fitting, i am sure if you kicked abit you could swing it

It not that i wouldn't want Sky+, i dont really want to pay more that £43 per month. Isn't there an additional subscription fee for Sky+?

If it comes to it and they don't repair i'll just tell them i'll cancel my subscription. There is no way im paying for their incompetence to diagnose a problem. The signal started to slightly pixelate about a week after the repair but i put this down to weather. But the weather hasn't changed much, yet the signal has just got more worse untill theres virtually no signal.

On another note, do you know the cost of realigning the dish?

Any warranty would only cover the part which was replaced. The dish could be off alignment due to high winds, or a overhanging tree in the line of sight, or a faulty LNB or cable.

Sky charge £65 for a call-out, but any competent aerial contractor can re-align a dish or replace a faulty LNB or cable.

george if you phone to cancel your subscription, the customer service guys will try to talk you out of it, just be adamant and they will then transfer you to cancellations, these guys will offer you sky plus for a one off fee of £49 for the old type/refurb box or £69 for the new spec box, no multi room required and no further subscription for sky plus. i have the early box as they have only recently added the new one and i am more than happy, and like you did not think i wanted it, but now i would not want to be without it :thumbsup:

My Sky picture has come back on, it seems ok for a while but still does freeze, sometimes quite often. Can't be dish alignment seeing as the problem would be more permanent. Could possibly be the weather but, the picture is sometimes bad when the weather is fine.

I would like Sky+ and as long as there isn't any further charges on my additional subscription i might give it a try. Do they still do this "offer" or is it one of those secret things (like when you ask mobile phone companies for more free minutes). The thing is I dont really want to cancel (unless things get really bad again), so if i go ahead with it but don't get asked if i want to upgrade then then what would i do? :oops: Or should i just ask them straight, "i wanna cancel because of this fault but i hear you offer Sky+. That should correct the issue"

Sky+ will cost you £10 a month unless you subscribe to movies or sports.

I already have all the channels (Sky World) so i guess i wont have any costs. Well once i have the 50 quid im gonna get me a Sky+ box :D

then you will be fine, but make sure you get through to cancellations and not just customer services,
sky have abolished the £10 sky plus fee, i had my letter the other day,but never paid it anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom