1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Sky+ Picture on my LCD

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by neil950, Sep 2, 2005.

1. neil950

neil950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello. I am hoping that someone may be able to help me with a problem I have with my Sky+ feed to my LCD via my Amp.

The equipment I have is as follows: Sky+, Denon AVR 2805 Amp and Philips 32PF9986 LCD Tv.

I have just purchased a Monster S-Video cable and have used this to connect my Sky+ to the Amp, using the DBS S-Video input connector on the amp. The amp feeds the tv from the component out on the amp to the DVI-I connector on the tv using a component to VGA cable and the VGA to DVI adapter supplied by the TV.

The problem I have is that when I select the DBS source on the amp and select DVI as the input source to the TV I just get a blank blue screen with the message "picture format not available" momentarily displayed.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,620
    I don't know your Amps options , but you have to switch on my Yammys "up convert" function . Have you checked to see yours doesn't need switching on ?

Also , isn't component out an analogue signal and DVI-D a digital one ? You have all the leads connected , but no A-D conversion. Or am I missing something .

Good luck , hope you get sorted
    John

3. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,793
    Make sure you have a DVI-I cable. DVI-I carries both digital and analogue signals. If you've used a DVI-D cable your TV won't pick it up. Component is an analogue signal and needs the DVi-A part of a cable/connection to work.

Look at http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_info.html for an explanation (annd piccys) of the differences.

HTH.

4. neil950

neil950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks johnscarlet and malice for your comments. in answer to switching up convert on, I'm certain that the denon amp does not have that switch option, it does it automatically. My DVI connector is a DVI-I which I believe carries analogue and digital. Malice, thanks for the suggestion about the DVI cable. I am actually using a Component to VGA cable from my amp to my tv which connects to a vga to dvi adapter that came supplied with the tv. I presume I'm correct in thinking that there will be only one type of component to vga cable?

5. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,793
  6. neil950

neil950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the link, not came across a dvi to component adapter before. Something I should of mentioned in my initial thread, is that I'm certain that the problem doesn't lie with the connection from my denon amp to the tv as I have a progressive scan dvd player connected to my amp using a standard component cable and that displays fine on my tv through the same connection?

7. DeafPhil

DeafPhil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    M'mm

I have a simliar problem with Denon Kit

I have just bought a Denon AVC-A11XV and I am using it with a Pace SKY+ box and an InFocus 4805 Projector.

It works fine when I go "Sky+ S-Video to AMP followed by AMP Component to Projector"

But when I use the "Sky+ S-Video to Amp followed by HDMI to Projector (via a DVI-M1 to HDMI convertor plug)" I only get the half left of the screen and the projector says the video mode is "1440 x 288 50hz"

When using my DVD player (a Yamaha S540) the picture is fine (through component to the Amp, AMP HDMI to Projector)

Please help

8. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Can you turn off progressive scan on the DVD player? If so do you still get a picture? The answer may help with diagnosing where the problem lies.

9. DeafPhil

DeafPhil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great Idea Piers,

When I turn progressive scan off on the DVD player I get exactly the same results as the Sky+ channel

So the problems appears to be with interlaced pictures, any idea how to resolve?

Thanks in advance

10. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Another possibility - I have a 3805 but am betting that the 2805 is similar. System setup - input setup - video input mode......what is DBS set to??

11. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Phil,

It was Neil that I was answering but looks like I may have got some way to sorting you out as well!!

Let's see what Neil comes back with then onto your prob.

12. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Phil,

No sign of Neil so back to you. Two interlaced sources (DVD and Sky+) are giving the same result - the PJ reporting 1440 x 288 50 Hz and you are seeing only the left half of the screen? Which HDMI to DVI-M1 converter are you using?

13. DeafPhil

DeafPhil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem Piers, I am grateful for any help and I think the problems may be related

I have attached a picture of the symptoms I am having

I have forced the DVD to component and the SKY+ to S-Video on my Amps video input settings but it has made no difference

Attached Files:

14. DeafPhil

DeafPhil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. neil950

neil950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys, its neil bback again

Thankks for your input piers. I have just turned progressive off on my dvd player and the picture dissapears from the tv and reverts to the blue screen.

16. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,793
    Neil,

I just read the spec of the TV.....

Connections
    • Side Connectors: S-Video Y/C in
    Video CVBS in (cinch)
    Audio L/R in (cinch)
    Headphones out (3,5mm jack)
    • EXT 1 : CVBS in/out, RGB, Audio L/R (scart)
    • EXT 2 : CVBS in/out,Y/C, RGB,Audio L/R
    (scart)
    • EXT 3 : CVBS in,Audio L/R (scart)
    • DVI-i (Digital Stream, RGB-HV, HDMI compatible)
    • Audio out L/R (cinch)
    • Centre Channel in (cinch) for connection to
    a Home Cinema system
    • Subwoofer out (cinch)

I think component on the DVI-I is not a supported feature. RGB-HV is, I don't see YPbPr

This may shed some light on the RGB (VGA) vs YUV,YPbPr or component differences.

http://www.bnoack.com/index.html?http&&&www.bnoack.com/video/RGB_YPrPb.html

17. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Phil,

Having bought the AVC-A11XV I suspect that you might agree with me that the Denon user manuals aren't too user friendly! It could still be a setting on the Denon that is wrong but if so it has me defeated. I am still asking - which HDMI to M1 converter are you using??

18. neil950

neil950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks malice. The dvi connector does support component as before i bought my amp, i had my progressive dvd player connected to the tv using the dvi to vga adaptor and vga to component cable, both of which were supplied with the tv.

19. DeafPhil

DeafPhil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Piers,

I don't know how to better answer my last reply the adapter (as pictured) is a molex HDMI to DVI-M! connector I am using Van Den Hul 15m cable from the Amp to this adapter into projector

Attached Files:

20. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,793
    Have you manually selected the Component-in assignment for the DVD connection? The default of AUTO should pick the component from your DVD but hey, may be worth a shot. Menu 3-4 if its similar to the 3805. Select Component. EDIT:Also select VIDEO 1 or 2 on the Component In Assign, menu 3-3 (default is NONE on the 3805). You have got the component out on far left connections at the back of the amp? Daft question I know, but there we have it!!

21. neil950

neil950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Piers

Did you see my reply with the answer to your question about the progressive on/off on my dvd player

22. neil950

neil950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Malice

Yes, I have selected the video input sources on the amp. Just a reminder is that my problem lies with my sky+ picture not being displayed on the tv through the amp. My dvd player works fine with it connected through the amp.

23. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Guys,

This is getting seriously complicated and it is getting late!

Phil,

Sorry that I missed your reply about the converter. The Molex one is, I think, OK so that's not the problem.

Neil,

If I have got this right, both you and Phil have seen the same thing.Turn off progressive scan which was giving a good picture and you either have no picture or a well screwed up picture??

Surely it cannot be anything to do with the inputs on the LCD? Progressive via HDMI worked fine direct into the LCD and the projector. It has to be something to do with the Denons.

24. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,793
    :suicide: :oops:

I occasionally get a blank picture on my old Digibox via Scart. I have to press the Sky button to get the picture to appear.

25. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,793
    As a test to see if its the S-Video or the component end, select DBS as your source and then see if the on-screen menu appears when you go into amp set up. If the menu appears its a S-Video setup, if not it's a component issue? Dunno. It's late. :)

26. DeafPhil

DeafPhil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Piers,

No Problem, it is late and I'm already into my 3rd glass of red wine (it is Friday after all!), I have emailed Denon tonight so hopefully they can help

Thanks for your help so far, I think your diagnostics have pinpointed the problem area.

I am also having problems with my XBOX both in component and HDMI through the amp so it looks like Denon have a bit to sort out!

Cheers

Phil

27. neil950

neil950

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Piers,

I think my problem has got a bit mixed up as the threads have increased. To summarise I have my progressive scan dvd player and my sky+ connected to my amp (dvd via component cable and sky via s-video cable). The amp connects to the lcd from the component out on my amp to the dvi-i on the tv using a component to vga cable and vga to dvi adaptor. The dvd player works fine and I get a great picture, but when I select the DBS source (the input my sky is connected to) I get nothhing but a blue screen. I've even tried discnnecting the dvd player from the amp and the problem is still the same. Hope you can help.

28. DeafPhil

DeafPhil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Malice,

The on screen setup of the Denon appears exactly the same as the input source (i.e. all messed up) when viewing the non progressive signals

Cheers

Phil

29. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Phil,

Too late now! I'm not that far away from you if you need some hands on help, though hopefully Denon will sort you out.

30. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,793
    All my comments have been for Neil only!!......
    Your problems are diffent to Neils. He does not have a HDMI connector on his amp, where you do. Yours appears to be a scaling/upconversion problem. We're trying to figure out Neils non appearance of Sky via S-Video up conversion. I think you could do with not hijacking this thread any further!!!