• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

No sim installed iPhone 4

Munter

Been getting this popping up on my iPhone 4 and I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem.

I thought it might have been due to the transfer from my old o2 sim to o2 microsim but it keeps doing it more often. Switching off my phone and back on again usually gets my phone to see the microsim but now thats not even working :confused: and I have to physically take the sim out the phone and reinsert it for it to work :(

allan_

Standard Member
Hi Munter, i am having this problem aswell. Got my 32gb yesterday, was fine at first but after a couple of hours started getting the no sim installed message, restarting, airplane mode on/off and removing the sim then putting it back in work for a while but then it just happens again, got my phone from tesco waiting to hear back from them, tesco customer services said for me to try a new sim and if the problem persists will have to get a replacement handset. Isn't just us, have been posting on the apple support forums and macrumors and alot of people having the same problem in the UK and US. Raging!

Munter

Firstly glad it isnt just me lol! If it keeps up tonight I'll pop into o2 tomorrow and get a new sim and try that out and see if its any better. If not I suppose it'll be a trip back into Apple on Monday :(

Millsinho

Standard Member
I've been having the same problem too. I hope it's a software problem that can be fixed with an update, but that's probably wishful thinking.

If you search for it there seems to be a lot of other people having the same issue. Given that it's only been on sale a couple of days I think it's safe to say that it will become a very well publicised problem, and Apple will have to fix it ASAP as a result

dbm001

Same problem here, it's done it 3 times so far since yesterday (O2 PAYG micro sim). I hope it's a software fix rather than a fault. Loving the phone so far otherwise.

McGill

Standard Member
Same for me (32GB) - worked fine for 18 hours after activation then, nothing. Had no phone for 24 hours now, Orange say their going to get back to me about it within 24 hours but I'll have to send it away to be checked. Guy on the phone said there'd been plenty of others with the same problem but some had managed to fix it by selecting 'Reset Network Settings' from the General Menu but it didn't work for me. Seriously unhappy, when you pay over £300 for something you expect it to work.

Munter

I'm going back into Apple tomorrow with mine for definite. Keeps doing the same today and its startin to get on my nerves now as switching it off, going into airport mode or even taking out the sim doesnt get it working again. Seems to have a mind of its own when it wants to work.

Worst of it is I dont get the signal loss problem that seems to be plaguing alot of people and I know my replacement phone will no doubt have that problem lol

buzzcfc

Standard Member
I really have gave this phone time, but it's taking the **** now. I overlooked the signal problem because it didn't really affect me (the way I hold the phone), but after today with this sim problem, i'm sticking it on ebay and re-buying a 3gs.
I previously held apple in high regard and trusted their product, but never again will I buy an apple product on launch. I have paid £500 for a phone that is a disgraceful product.

Munter

Well drove the 12 miles into Apple today, paid £4.40 for 2 hours parking only to get to Apple and them tell me that I need a Genius appointment as they were fully booked and the latest I can be seen is Wednesday :thumbsdow

I now have a phone that cant be used as a phone due to this problem getting worse and its got to the stage now I cant be bothered when it does pop up that error to mess around with it till I can get it working as a phone again :(

I also made tried making a call today and while it was ringing it just stopped and up popped the call fail message :confused:

Last edited:

istanbul05

This happened to me on launch day, so i took it into Apple on Friday to ask about it and the guy told me to do a reset (Holding sleep and home button until it resets). Since i did the reset it has not happened to me once. :smashin:

Munter

My phone just just the error again while trying to send a text message. Tried the above and when it restarted still having the no sim error. I'm just switching it off completely now until my appointment on Wednesday.

dbm001

This happened to me on launch day, so i took it into Apple on Friday to ask about it and the guy told me to do a reset (Holding sleep and home button until it resets). Since i did the reset it has not happened to me once. :smashin:

Did the same thing and it's not happened to me again either. I don't seem to have any other problems so very happy! :thumbsup:

tankpig

Standard Member
This happened to me aswell guys, it REALLY made me angry.

But all I did was turn the sim card the other way. (Keeping the chip pointing through the hole in the sim tray but turned around if you know what i mean) Hope this helps as it worked perfectly.

shade_of_meta

Anybody got a replacement over this issue?

I've had the 'no SIM' message about a dozen times now...only fixable by constant enabling of airplane mode or a hard reboot...

between this and signal issues its starting to become a joke :rotfl:

RussWWFC

It astounds me that Apple can relase a product with all these problems. I didn't think that was the Apple way.

I'm happy with my iPhone 3G for now, camera isn't up to much but if I want to take pics then I have a dedicated digital camera

Munter

Well just an update on this, I had my Genius Bar appointment today and they replaced my phone straight away. I now have a phone that is working as it should and very happy with it :)

Wronghole

Well drove the 12 miles into Apple today, paid £4.40 for 2 hours parking only to get to Apple and them tell me that I need a Genius appointment as they were fully booked and the latest I can be seen is Wednesday :thumbsdow

I now have a phone that cant be used as a phone due to this problem getting worse and its got to the stage now I cant be bothered when it does pop up that error to mess around with it till I can get it working as a phone again :(

I also made tried making a call today and while it was ringing it just stopped and up popped the call fail message :confused:

Seriously you need to get the phone swapped in the shop there and then or get a refund it is faulty you do not have to wait to see a so called Genius .. Just quote sale of goods act if they mess you around

RajP

Distinguished Member
Seriously you need to get the phone swapped in the shop there and then or get a refund it is faulty you do not have to wait to see a so called Genius .. Just quote sale of goods act if they mess you around

I do hope that Apple had some Geniuses test and design their Iphone 4 as it seems that they have goofed up a bit here... I have the IP4 which is not having this issue (I did not have a microsim so chopped my normal sim to this). But this with the Signal issue does bring to question the whole testing process!!! :confused:

iandrews

That's what really annoyed me yesterday when I went to the apple store to say that I was constantly getting No Sim messages, they said I had to have it looked at and for that I needed a Genius appointment. At first they said they didn't have any, but after saying that I had a un-usable phone they offered my an apt for 2:30 (it was about 12:45 at the time), but because I couldn't take that because I needed to go back to work they said the next apt was Tue. After complaining some more they said that if I came to the store when it opened at 9 the next day then someone may be able to see me. I think if I had had all the other bits with me then I would have returned it there an then, but because I didn't, I did go back at 9 then next morning, but not to ask for it to be seen, but to return it. What with the signal issues I had just had enough.

Ian.

JAYGAR

I also have no sim problem somedays does not happen at all others 4 or 5 times, it's just happened to me in the middle of a call it's getting annoying now Might have to take it back to o2 and see what they say.

Munter

Check where the sims goes into the side of the phone, does it slightly stick out? I noticed with the one I had that problem with it did and the replacement phone I got the sim holder sits flush with the phone.

JAYGAR

No it's flush mate but the chip on the sim itself does touch the metal on the sim holder it's happened twice again tonight hopefully a new sim will solve the problem. Don't know if it's related but always seems to be when it's in my pocket or got really low signal.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom