No signal when connecting to my LED TV

xcharliecx

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have a Samsung LED TV and when I connect my wii to the TV using the standard leads that come with the wii my tv keeps stating that there is no signal and that I should check the connected device's power, cable connection and source selection. I thought maybe it was to do with the lead so i purchase a component cable instead, the same problem keeps coming up.

I don't know what else to do, the wii is plugged in correctly and works fine on my other tv.

Any ideas why this is happening? and what I could be doing wrong. I don't actually have an aerial plugged into my TV as I've got sky but surely that would make no impact on the connection of the wii to my TV?

Are you selecting the correct input source on the TVs source menu?
AV source for standard leads and Component source for component leads.

Hiya

Yes, when I connect a component lead the source name changes from AV to component.

The same error comes up regardless of what lead I use. The tv is brand new I brought it around 2 months ago

Silly question, but if it's like mine then the cables connect to TV by adapters/jacks so have you got the 35mm jacks connected into the correct holes?

And is the lead correctly seated into the Wii and you've turned it on?

Last edited:
It's like a 2 pinned connection, one is a little shorter than the other and it connects into the side of the tv, it's definately in correctly otherwise I would be able to tell as it wouldnt fit. It then has the 5 inputs coming off it, green, white, yellow and two red

I just can't understand what the issue is. I've ordered a scart lead as well now to see if that works. With the error message coming up it tells me theres a problem with the wii console itself but it switches on fine and having tried 2 leads one old one new it cant be the console

xcharliecx said:
It then has the 5 inputs coming off it, green, white, yellow and two red
That doesn't sound right to me as there should also be a blue one too?
This is what mine looks like.
8a8c34b2.jpg

Yep sorry I missed the blue one. Mine has just the light green that plugs into the tv thought it doesnt have a separate one for the yellow and white. This came with the TV as well and I've never used it before until now It's difficult to take a photo as my tv is pretty much flat against my wall

Have you got anything else you could try using the TV inputs with just to make sure it's not the TV inputs at fault?

Hmmm no I don't believe I do, could it be the actual lead I plug into the tv inputs itself? or even the actual TV? That would be a nightmare if that was the case, I have lots of HDM1 holes though do you use them with the Wii?

Surely if there was a fault with the TV itself or the lead then it would recognise it when I select to view the different sources

Wii dont use HDMI.
If the Wii works fine on another TV then it would seem the problem lies at the Samsung end.
It's either you've missed something in the settings, incorrectly connected or there's a fault with the TV connections.

There are other ways round it though isnt there by using another connection from the wii to the TV? What about USB? Where would I be able to obtain them leads from as they will both be the same ends wont they? not like one you would use to connect your phone of digital camera to your PC for example

No you cannot connect via USB, only way is RGB Scart, Composite or Component leads.
I definitely think it would be a good idea to try a different device on those TV inputs or return TV to place of purchase and get them to check or replace.

Ok, I should recieve my scart lead this week if it still fails to work I'll try connecting a DVD player to the TV see how I get on

Thanks for your help

So the scart lead came this morning and the wii works fine! The only thing is no sound! Is that normally the case? Now I'm trying to find the next move! I'm wondering if it the actually lead I connect to the tv which connects to the AV/Component lead thats fault rather than the actual TV input itself, assuming thats a high possibility

Didn't you say it worked on another TV so surely the lead cannot be faulty?
No sound has got to be something to do with your connection or TV settings or you have a faulty TV.

The wii does yes, but what I mean is could it be the lead that connects to the TV rather than the actual inputs in the tv you connect the tv to?

I can then buy another one to try it, I have attached the lead that connects to my tv

Attachments

• IMG-20120104-00810 (1).jpg
    IMG-20120104-00810 (1).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,294
Yeah possibly it could be the lead, but then that doesn't explain why you have a no sound issue with the scart.
Do any other devices like DVD player have sound through the scart?
I still think you'd be better off going back to where you purchased and see if they say it's faulty or not.

Last edited:
Yes, just tried it, DVD is fine.

Where would I be able to find another one of the leads I've posted a photo of? I can only find the ones with a single pin. I'm really not very technical so please forgive me

Just had one my crack at it and it's working with the scart now with sound! I clearly hadn't clipped it in together enough! phew!!! I wont worry about the AV lead now as anything I'll be using to connect to my TV i'll use the HDMI

Thank you for your help :)

The thing is your just clutching at straws and could just be wasting your money as you don't really know where the problem or fault lies.
Do you know anyone that's a bit more tech savvy to come and have a look and see if they can work it out?

No not really, what I may do though is take the connection of that lead into Currys and ask them to test it there, then explain what the problem is and go from there. Then I will ask around some friends to see if they are any good with these types of things

have you resolved this now ? if not i can have the solution to you in 10 minutes a i have the same set up

Hey

No never resolved this issue, I use a scart lead instead as an alternative solution

I have the same two pin connector which fits into the rear of the Samsung LED TV - this connector has two red one blue one white and a green (with yellow band) female ends. Note that one of the reds are paired with the white. These two are the audio connectors, the green (with yellow band) is the video. Now for the wii - connect the red male to the red female, the white male to white female and the yellow male to the green (with yellow band). This works fine and a scart is not required.

Good luck let me know how you get on.

ps someone previously posted a pic however their connector is different from what we have for Samsung

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom