No signal problem only on certain channels

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by daddyp, Oct 23, 2005.

1. daddyp

daddyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi wonder if there is anyone out there that has had a similar problem to me. I've got a Grundig set top box that has been working fine for the past two years. Now all of a sudden I keep getting No signal error messages on screen, but only on certain channels. For example Discovery home and leisure ok but +1 no signal, Channel 4 fine but Channel 5 No signal. If anyone out there can help or give me a clue how to get a new box from Sky then that would be great.

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm not an expert but my mate had similar problems a while back (I believe he may also have had a Grundig). I believe that the problem got worse and other channels started playing up as well.

He gave up and bought a second hand box. I think you'll need to get the box looked at asap.

3. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi daddyp,

I don't know whether you've seen the other threads, pause problem etc. Since the Sky software update a couple of months or so ago a lot of us have been having problems with our boxes, particularly the Sky+ boxes. Mine intermittently does the same as yours "No signal...." even when the weather is fine and looking at system set up on Services shows good strength and quality. I can nearly always get BBC1 but Channel 5 is often unobtainable. I missed "House" the other night because of that. I've often noticed that the +1 channels are unobtainable too, a low bit rate maybe, or whatever it is. I know that the Sky+ boxes have been affected but I'm not sure if the other digiboxes are suffering too. Most of the problems are Sky+ problems, but the "No Satellite Signal" is common to us all. Have you tried doing a full system reset?
    If your box is on the way out it may not be good for it. If you have a standard box Press Services button on the remote control. Then press the numbers 4 0 1 firmly then press Select on the remote. This takes you into the Installer Menu. Then press Full System Reset. I think it's option 7 on the standard digibox and option 8 on Sky+. I have done this in the past with no ill effect, and lots of members of this forum have too. If you have a Sky+ box it will remove all programmes you have recorded on your planner.

I bought my new Sky+ box from Simply Digital as Sky could not guarantee me a Pace box and I didn't want an Amstrad. It was around £160 but I think if you ring Sky you will get a refurbished box for £65. I had four of those in a year a couple of years ago but you may get a good one. Have a look on their website and look at their current offers. If you have a standard box and upgrade to Sky+ there is a good deal although it does mean paying more each month.

Good luck!

All this has happened since the update; previously the box worked perfectly. It should do as it is a Pace version 3 Sky+ box, only about ten weeks old!

It could well be that reckless is right, but hang on for a few weeks as Sky are meant to be working on a new update to cure all the problems. We hope!