1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No signal problem only on certain channels

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by daddyp, Oct 23, 2005.

1. daddyp

daddyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi wonder if there is anyone out there that has had a similar problem to me. I've got a Grundig set top box that has been working fine for the past two years. Now all of a sudden I keep getting No signal error messages on screen, but only on certain channels. For example Discovery home and leisure ok but +1 no signal, Channel 4 fine but Channel 5 No signal. If anyone out there can help or give me a clue how to get a new box from Sky then that would be great.

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm not an expert but my mate had similar problems a while back (I believe he may also have had a Grundig). I believe that the problem got worse and other channels started playing up as well.

He gave up and bought a second hand box. I think you'll need to get the box looked at asap.

3. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi daddyp,

I don't know whether you've seen the other threads, pause problem etc. Since the Sky software update a couple of months or so ago a lot of us have been having problems with our boxes, particularly the Sky+ boxes. Mine intermittently does the same as yours "No signal...." even when the weather is fine and looking at system set up on Services shows good strength and quality. I can nearly always get BBC1 but Channel 5 is often unobtainable. I missed "House" the other night because of that. I've often noticed that the +1 channels are unobtainable too, a low bit rate maybe, or whatever it is. I know that the Sky+ boxes have been affected but I'm not sure if the other digiboxes are suffering too. Most of the problems are Sky+ problems, but the "No Satellite Signal" is common to us all. Have you tried doing a full system reset?
    If your box is on the way out it may not be good for it. If you have a standard box Press Services button on the remote control. Then press the numbers 4 0 1 firmly then press Select on the remote. This takes you into the Installer Menu. Then press Full System Reset. I think it's option 7 on the standard digibox and option 8 on Sky+. I have done this in the past with no ill effect, and lots of members of this forum have too. If you have a Sky+ box it will remove all programmes you have recorded on your planner.

I bought my new Sky+ box from Simply Digital as Sky could not guarantee me a Pace box and I didn't want an Amstrad. It was around £160 but I think if you ring Sky you will get a refurbished box for £65. I had four of those in a year a couple of years ago but you may get a good one. Have a look on their website and look at their current offers. If you have a standard box and upgrade to Sky+ there is a good deal although it does mean paying more each month.

Good luck!

All this has happened since the update; previously the box worked perfectly. It should do as it is a Pace version 3 Sky+ box, only about ten weeks old!

It could well be that reckless is right, but hang on for a few weeks as Sky are meant to be working on a new update to cure all the problems. We hope!