• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

No signal on Sky channels in hot weather

nsymons

Standard Member
I have Sky+ HD using a DRX890-R box and am in London.

For the last few years I have had an intermittent fault where I lose Sky channels in hot weather. I get error message 25 (your sky+HD box isn't getting a satellite signal) and no signal on either input in the services menu, however I can usually still access terrestrial channels. This only happens in the daytime and during summer. Sometimes power cycling the box restores picture but often it fails again within a few minutes (picture gets increasingly blocky and distorted before losing signal completely)

I have tried resetting the LNB without effect and the sky box was replaced (under sky's free replacement offer) about 1 year ago - this didn't help either.

It seems to me that this must be a LNB problem (overheating?) but I wanted your thoughts before I call out an engineer with no real likelihood of a first time fix.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Have you noted/recorded the Signal/Quality levels when the system is working?

It definitely sounds like a dish/LNB/cabling problem which could easily be sorted.

nsymons

Standard Member
Yes, normally the signal is ok but not brilliant, about 6-7/10 in the signal levels. I live in quite a built up area.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Just testing my understanding:-

a) "... I can usually still access terrestrial channels." Means from a terrestrial aerial, ie totally unrelated to Sky?

b) You have your own dedicated Sky dish and do not live in an apartment with a communal dish?

nsymons

Standard Member
As I remember quality level was usually similar but I haven't checked it for a few months and Sky is currently FUBAR'd as it's about the first hot day of the year.

I have my own dish in a maisonette/end terrace town house and it's not shared.

No terrestrial channels also come through the sky dish and box. I can get 1-5, BBC HD, E4 and a few others but none of the sky channels. It's odd because the signal level is zero on both feeds when checking the services menu and there's no aerial/coax or other terrestrial feed to the tv.

There is a large building in the direction that the dish is pointing but it is about 500 yds away and the dish is just about pointing above it. A blockage wouldn't explain the time dependent nature of the problem though. This only happens on hot summer days during daylight hours.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info, let me, and others, ponder on the info...........

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
OK, I've pondered and cannot explain why the problem only seems to affect subscription channels. :confused:

Anyone else?

logiciel

I can usually still access terrestrial channels
That means "channels that can be received on Freeview by people who have access to it" - right?
Which ones, precisely?

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
That means "channels that can be received on Freeview by people who have access to it" - right?

Eh?

No terrestrial channels also come through the sky dish and box. I can get 1-5, BBC HD, E4 and a few others but none of the sky channels. It's odd because the signal level is zero on both feeds when checking the services menu and there's no aerial/coax or other terrestrial feed to the tv.

logiciel

For which reason I wrote "that can be received on Freeview by people who have access to it" - he hasn't.
The idea was to get a full reply to your question #5 (a).

Last edited:

logiciel

Which gives me an excuse to mention that I always had vague knowledge of the words "Red Bull" only as the name of a particularly unpleasant brand of drink, and in recent years have wondered how they came to be applied to a variety of other things, now including strange wheeled constructions that people ride around on at highly dangerous looking speeds.

Last edited:

nsymons

Standard Member
Ok, now sun no longer hitting LNB picture has returned.

Input 1 signal strength 7/10, quality 8/10.
Input 2 signal strength 6/10, quality 8/10.

Any new ideas?

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
It would help tremendously to know exactly which channels are lost and which can still be received when the fault occurs. I suspect very strongly that it is a fault within the lnb on one of the two switching circuits (freq band or polarisation) with either a dry joint or broken circuit board track or component that loses contact when it gets to a certain temperature so losing all channels either a frequency band or polarisation

logiciel

As in:
Which ones, precisely?

It does happen with "all channels either a frequency band or polarisation" but it's been known, more oddly, with just one TP.

Last edited:

nsymons

Standard Member
Not tried free view for a while but reception is usually pretty dodgy as we do have a shared aeriel (separate dishes though).

Anyhow I have persuaded Sky to send an engineer tomorrow for £40 as I'm such a loyal customer and I'll try to get them to replace the LNB and see what happens.

Didn't manage to get a good check on channels lost today as when I looked at about 4pm was exactly as the LNB went into the shade and they all came back within about 20 mins.

Will let you know how it goes.

nsymons

Standard Member
Well the engineer came round and, thankfully the fault was present at the time! Always a good start.

No signal from the LNB when tested so he replaced it and so far so good. It was definitely an LNB problem but what the exact cause was I don't know.

Thanks for your advice and I hope that others with a similar problem may now know what the problem is.

Nick

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Does anybody know if there is a universal Magic Eye that applies to other satellite boxes.

Yes, it's called "the wife". If I'm in bed watching Sky and want the channel changed I kick the wife out of bed to go downstairs and change it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom