No signal from Sky+ (non-HD) S-Video & RCA outputs??

itm

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just turned on my Amstrad Sky+ box (non-HD) for the first time in a couple of months. My Sky contract has been cancelled, but I can still receive the Freesat channels. Output from the SCART socket is fine, but when I connect the S-Video and RCA audio connectors to my TV there is no signal.
I can't find anywhere in the setup menus on the Sky+ box to configure the S-Video and RCA audio outputs, but they were definitely working a couple of months ago as that was my usual way of watching the Sky+ box. Can anyone suggest why I might not be getting any signal from these outputs?

Last edited:
........but they were definitely working a couple of months ago as that was my usual way of watching the Sky+ box......

On the same TV?

Hmmm...good point - different TV and setup. The old TV was an LG 42LB1DB, the new one is a Samsung UE55ES7000. Because the Samsung has too few analog AV inputs I've needed to route the Sky S-Video and RCA audio output through a Maplin AV switch.
I've just tried plugging the S-Video and RCA cables back into the old TV and I do get TV and audio signals (although the video is B&W for some reason??).

So now I have 2 questions:
- Even if the S-Video signal isn't being picked up by the new TV (via the switch) why would the audio signal not have worked? (isn't the RCA audio signal independent of the S-Video output?)
- Assuming the AVI switch isn't faulty, is there any reason why it wouldn't recognise an S-Video signal from the Sky+ box which works perfectly well when connected to an older LG TV?

To confirm the exact connections between devices, as this is probably relevant:
- Sky+ S-Video and RCA audio outputs are connected to the Maplin AV switch via separate S-Video and RCA stereo cables
- The Sky+ video output is set to RGB. I also tried PAL but that didn't work either
- The Maplin switch is connected to the TV with a triple-RCA lead (composite video plus stereo audio), into the Samsung RGB input via the Samsung-supplied SCART adapter for the RGB input.
???

I wouldn't have thought that the S-Video that goes into the switch could come out of it as composite video.

To confirm the exact connections between devices, as this is probably relevant:
- Sky+ S-Video and RCA audio outputs are connected to the Maplin AV switch via separate S-Video and RCA stereo cables
- The Sky+ video output is set to RGB. I also tried PAL but that didn't work either
- The Maplin switch is connected to the TV with a triple-RCA lead (composite video plus stereo audio), into the Samsung RGB input via the Samsung-supplied SCART adapter for the RGB input.
???

Unlikely the switch will convert S-Video to composite, they are normally what comes in goes out. Why not simply use composite in and composite out ?

Since composite is the ONLY output option from the AV switch, it does beg the question why would there be S-Video inputs on it? The switch must have been intended to accept S-Video input and output it as composite.
I've already used the other composite/SCART outputs from the Sky box - the S-Video is the only one left.

???

So you are feeding a composite signal into the Samsung RGB input?

Yes, but you are feeding the Scart with a composite signal from the Maplin box!! It cannot convert to RGB!
(I also suspect your Scart adaptor is Scart to Phono rather than Phono to Scart - that's why you get no sound)

I have a couple of other composite sources (Tivo and Wii) plugged into the same AV switch, connected to the same Samsung SCART/RGB input, and get full video and audio from both, so that doesn't seem to be a problem in principle. It's just the Sky/S-Video input that's the problem.

What is the product code for this Maplin AV switch?

I think I have found it - it switches S-video inputs to a S-video output, as well as composite inputs to a composite output - it cannot convert S-video to composite.

Last edited:
Interesting comment on the review page: "and the S-Video inputs and outputs are odd - the instructions do warn you, and I find S-Video odd anyway.".

Interesting....so if I'd RTFD'd I would have found:
"If you have used any S-VHS inputs then you must connect the S-VHS lead as well as the SCART lead. If your TV does not have an S-VHS input (which mine doesn't) then do not use any of the S-VHS inputs on the unit - you will not be able to view them".

So now what I'm wondering is: if I connect the AV switch to the SCART adapter on my TV using an S-Video lead and one of the adaptors below, would I get video on the TV?
RGB Scart to 3 RCA AV Socket S-video VCR DVD HD PLASMA LCD TV Cinch Adapter Gold | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
It might work and at that price the way to find out is to try it.
The best solution anyway would be to replace the Sky machine and give the new TV the HDMI input that it deserves.

This is becoming farcical. You have a Sky+ box, ergo two Scart outputs. What do they connect to? If one is a DVD/VCR why not use the output Scart from one of those for your Sky signal?

The best solution anyway would be to replace the Sky machine and give the new TV the HDMI input that it deserves.

He doesn't want a subscription,and he probably doesn't want to pay for a Freesat box.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
We, (you), are gong round in circles - with the same answer everytime! You cannot convert, cheaply, S-video to composite!!

It's very easy. All you need to do is combine the seperate luminance and chrominance signals, to form the composite signal. Going the other way is possible but pretty pointless. The point surely is the switch doesn't convert.

Converting S-Video signals

Simple mixing (addition of voltages) after appropriate low-pass filtering is required to convert S-Video to composite video. Conversion to or from any other standard requires more sophisticated circuitry.

Last edited:
But what are you going to do about the audio?

I was hoping to pass the audio using RCA leads, in tandem with the S-Video cable, using the RGB adapter from eBay (see link above)

Yes, if the video does work on that £1.45 converter then that is the way to get the audio.
He doesn't want a subscription,and he probably doesn't want to pay for a Freesat box.
It's still easy and cheap to buy a Sky machine, and that Sammy DOES deserve something better.

Last edited:
You have a Sky+ box, ergo two Scart outputs. What do they connect to? If one is a DVDR/VCR why not use the output Scart from one of those for your Sky signal?

Won't this work?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom