Question No signal from PC to Sony STR DN1000

Johnjulianbrown

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I've been looking through the forums for a solution but unfortunately have had no luck so hopefully someone will have some advice for me.

I understand the receiver is fairly old, but it's new to me, coming from an ancient Yamaha RX, so before this I had my PC running HDMI to TV and optical into the amp. I seen the Sony for sale and snapped it up without really thinking about it assuming it was going to be a case of plug and play, hdmi from PC, through the Sony (with 5.1 audio) and onto the TV but unfortunately I have no signal. I can use it the same way I did before but I'm gaining no benefits as all my audio is still channelled through the TV giving me stereo sound.

I've tried changing loads of resoloutions on pc then switching cables back around. Probably spent a good hour doing that, checked nvidias control panel but to be honest I don't know what to do. Works fine from PC to TV, but as soon as I plug it into the receiver j get nothing, I've tried playing a video too to see if the sound was going through but it's not either.

Set all different resoloutions on the receiver itself with no joy. Basically stumped. No idea what to try next

Graphics card I have is Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti if that helps.

I've tried loads of different HDMI cables so I can't see that being the issue, they all work pc-tv but none pc-reciever.

Thanks to anyone who can help. It's got my head splitting already. Will try again after work this evening

Just tried a playstation 4 and that doesn't seem to work either. Does it matter that I'm transmitting to a 4k TV? I'll get into my TV settings to have a look but there's no reason the PS4 shouldn't work surely. When I press the GUI menu on the receiver it appears on the TV so signal is definitely going from receiver to TV. It just doesn't seem to be taking any signal

That is a pretty old receiver, I checked some specs online and it does say that it supports 1080p24 through its HDMI ports, so you could try that resolution.

Also, it might be fussy with cables, so a premium certified HDMI cable from PC to AVR and from AVR to TV would rule that out as the issue. They are inexpensive, just make sure they have the premium certified logo as that is all we have to rule out the duffs from the decent, eg:

If none of that works, you could run two cables from your graphics card, one to the AVR for audio and one to the TV for video.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Just tried a playstation 4 and that doesn't seem to work either. Does it matter that I'm transmitting to a 4k TV? I'll get into my TV settings to have a look but there's no reason the PS4 shouldn't work surely. When I press the GUI menu on the receiver it appears on the TV so signal is definitely going from receiver to TV. It just doesn't seem to be taking any signal
Is the PS4 outputting an HD or 4K signal? The AVR will not passthrough 4K.

Oh my god, I'm so annoyed with myself. Literally spent hours on this.... I thought the hdmi on the back of the receiver went from left to right (1-4) it actually goes 4-1 I've only been having it on the wrong channel. Everything is working as it should. I'm a complete idiot as I couldn't quite read them and obviously read it wrong last night under poor lighting. Its daylight now and I thought I'll just double check. Can only shake my head at myself

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom