no signal from laptop via hdmi *help needed

ZigiKosta

Novice Member
Reaction score
hello, I am new here this is my first post and i would really appreciate some help.
I have a Optoma UHD35 projector 2021 model and a hp spectre laptop on windows 10 (4k resolution, about 5 years old) and when i connect them via HDMI all i see is a no signal message on projector screen.
When i connect my laptop via hdmi to my tv or my other projectors (even 4k ones) it all works fine so i know the hdmi output works fine.
I tried many different hdmi cables (none longer than 5 meters) even the most expensive ones but nothing seems to help.
The projector only projects a no signal message.
i tried the basic hdmi handshake troubleshooting with booting the device while connected in different orders and turned off auto searching on the projector but no luck.
Now the thing that is really weird is that my laptop knows it is connected, while connected via hdmi the screen blinks and optopa UHD35 is listed as an audio output option. the other weird thing is that while trying out different things i resorted to unplugging and plugging the hdmi back and forth in my laptop output. one of the tries was succesful and i got the picture projected perfectly (on around the tenth attempt of replugging the hdmi) everything was working smooth until i changed the laptop resolution while it was being connected from UHD to full HD because i wanted to try the 3D feature. the second i clicked approve on the change resolution pop up message the picture got disconected and the dreaded no signal message appeared again. Since that i changed my laptop resolution back to 4k and tried unplugging and replugging about 1000 times but zero luck, i never got the conection to work again.

I know this is a lot to read but i hope someone will take the time to reply, I am really desperate as i paid over 1000 euros for the projector and the salesman said he couldnt help me with this issue since i had already gone through the basic troubleshooting and he doesnt know what else there is to try.

thanks in advance to anyone who will reply

For now I would just try 1080p and 30hz as the starting point. 4k can be a pain to get right for projectors as there are other factors to consider like cable type and length.
Does it work with other sources?
What does it state in the signal info of the PJ menu?

Also make sure that your laptop is in the right mode for outputting to an external display.
You can either use the control panel.of your graphics drivers or press the Windows logo key + P.

HotPlug - I would be wary of your 1000 connect/disconnects, HDMI sockets can be easily damaged.

Laptop - want to see a Monitor with the relevant EDID and can be finicky when connecting to a ‘Home Cinema’ device such as an AVR or Projector.

You may want to consider a device which sits between the Laptop and the Projector and supplies the constant EDID the Laptop requires.

You can download Monitor Asset Manager from Entech.tw to get some idea of what the Laptop is seeing when connected to the Projector.

The HDFury Dr HDMI 4K is the EDID manager we would supply/install.

Joe

Dont take this the wrong way and I've heard great things about the fury, but I don't think its necessary to go to the expense with the setup he has.
In fact I dont think any hardware EDID management would be required as Windows 10 supports software EDID management if the graphics drivers support it.

I’ll let folk know :)

As you say a short HDMI cable between the Laptop and the Projector and aim to force the Source into a low resolution mode and then, assuming you get a stable image, see how it goes as you increase the resolution.

Also worth checking the capabilities of individual Inputs on the Projector - they may not all support the same formats.

Our experience is no matter if it’s WIN10 or otherwise you often require the EDID manger to sit between the devices when a computer is involved.

Joe

For now I would just try 1080p and 30hz as the starting point. 4k can be a pain to get right for projectors as there are other factors to consider like cable type and length.

Also make sure that your laptop is in the right mode for outputting to an external display.
You can either use the control panel.of your graphics drivers or press the Windows logo key + P.
-it doesnt work with either resolution now. it only worked once on 4k until i lowered the res as stated above.
-it says no signal found
-yes i tried all of the options but none worked (duplicate,...)

also yes it works with other sources with no problem, i tried many different hdmi cables but zero luck and both ports are 2.2.hdcp on the projector
thanks for the reply

HotPlug - I would be wary of your 1000 connect/disconnects, HDMI sockets can be easily damaged.

Laptop - want to see a Monitor with the relevant EDID and can be finicky when connecting to a ‘Home Cinema’ device such as an AVR or Projector.

You may want to consider a device which sits between the Laptop and the Projector and supplies the constant EDID the Laptop requires.

You can download Monitor Asset Manager from Entech.tw to get some idea of what the Laptop is seeing when connected to the Projector.

The HDFury Dr HDMI 4K is the EDID manager we would supply/install.

Joe

thanks for the idea, will check on it.

also yes it works with other sources with no problem, i tried many different hdmi cables but zero luck and both ports are 2.2.hdcp on the projector
thanks for the reply
So the laptop is the issue. Regarding the display output what graphics chip does your laptop use?

thanks for the reply
Is the laptop HDCP 2.2 compliant? 5 years old, possibly not.
Also check the projectors max computer resolution. Often different to video resolution.

Is the laptop HDCP 2.2 compliant? 5 years old, possibly not.
Also check the projectors max computer resolution. Often different to video resolution.
but if it is not compliant how is it possible that i managed to get a connection on one occasion?
would installing this software help me determine the issue?
it says it Reads and generates reports based on Extron display data

to answer your second question, the one time i managed to get a connection the resolution was UHD so i dont think it is lower than the video resolution

but if it is not compliant how is it possible that i managed to get a connection on one occasion?
would installing this software help me determine the issue?
it says it Reads and generates reports based on Extron display data

to answer your second question, the one time i managed to get a connection the resolution was UHD so i dont think it is lower than the video resolution
Try lowering the refresh rate to 30hz or lower and see if it works.
Another thing to try if you want to keep a high refresh, is to lower the bit depth of the laptops signal to 8 bit.

l
Computers/laptops will want to send RGB signals as a preference, and if 10 bit or more @ 4k res, it is not a 'legal' HDMI signal.
4:4:4/RGB needs to be at 8 bit or less for 50 or 60hz (or higher).

Dropping to 8bit or 30hz will lower bandwidth enough to take decent cables out of the equation.
Also, Have you tried another laptop?
Good luck.

Try lowering the refresh rate to 30hz or lower and see if it works.
Another thing to try if you want to keep a high refresh, is to lower the bit depth of the laptops signal to 8 bit.

l
Computers/laptops will want to send RGB signals as a preference, and if 10 bit or more @ 4k res, it is not a 'legal' HDMI signal.
4:4:4/RGB needs to be at 8 bit or less for 50 or 60hz (or higher).

Dropping to 8bit or 30hz will lower bandwidth enough to take decent cables out of the equation.
Also, Have you tried another laptop?
Good luck

YES YES YES!!! I LOVE YOU!!!
it was set to UHD 60 hz, i switched to 30 and it is working now!
strange since the projector input says 60hz 4k and it is also capable of 240hz at 1080p

I am so grateful to everyone who helped me on this thread

strange since the projector input says 60hz 4k and it is also capable of 240hz at 1080p

Great stuff. You are welcome.
It isn't just as about the rated max refresh and resolution, it is to do with 'legal' HDMI signals.
Glad you got it working.

This was mentioned in post 2!

This was mentioned in post 2!
Sort of. ;)
1080p 30hz would work regardless and even with iffy cables. It was 4k that was required and the issue was it was being sent at what would appear to be 60hz RGB 10bit. Not a legal HDMI signal. Display port would be fine however.
Everyone was thanked for their assistance too.... :)

Sort of. ;)
1080p 30hz would work regardless and even with iffy cables. It was 4k that was required and the issue was it was being sent at what would appear to be 60hz RGB 10bit. Not a legal HDMI signal. Display port would be fine however.
Everyone was thanked for their assistance too.... :)
Granted, but if the OP had said yes fine at 1080p and 30hz next suggestion would have been 4k at 30hz, problem solved.
But glad it's sorted.

Hi all,

Sorry to hijack but I just wanted to ask a question that's related to this scenario and add some information that might be useful to other Optoma (and SONOS) owners.

I also own this Projector Optoma UHD35 and I had a setup working that would split my 4k Firestick into audio and video source. Video goes into projector and Audio goes to SONOS BEAM (for Dolby Digital 5.1 SS). I had it working last week but when I tried to replicate it didnt work. No Video detected but the audio was working. Then I discovered that if I remove the HDMI splitter and plug Firestick into the projector directly the TOSLINK will passthrough / output the Dolby Digital 5.1 signal to my SONOS Beam. This was a nice surprise as I was told that the Projector would only output Stereo PCM from TOSLINK.

I assume (based on feedback in this thread) that the projector has some issue with the video handshake - I will go back and test a few options as mentioned here but the question I have is related to 60/50/30 hz. Will changing these setting give an inferior picture or what is the effect of these changes?

The most important refresh rate for me is 24khz to avoid stutter in movies.
if you mainly use your PJ setup for movies then most will be at 24fps.

I'm not a huge gamer so the higher refresh rates aren't really needed by me, however I have no issue with up to 60hz @ 4k on my Epson PJ.

I only use PJ for movies so I'll make a few changes and see if it fixes my Audio / Video Extractor issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom