No signal from amplifier

eatapeach

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi - moved in to a new property and there is no signal from any of the installed outputs. Does anyone know what amp this might be?

How do I trace the fault? I have tried a TV tuning on each wall output, TV refuses to see a signal. I have tried increasing the gain, tried a different cable (F type) to connect to a different input on the TV etc. It's strange as the TV will find all channels on a portable antennae, but neither TV will find a signal from the roof antennae. And it was known to be working when previous occupants were here.

IMG_20211225_125646.jpg

Pain in the bum but can you get a tv up there or a fly lead (not one currently attached to it) out of the loft to tv to see if that works on each outlet and rule out whether an amp or cable/outlet problem.
Actually maybe first take walk plates off and see if they’re connected to anything! Wouldn’t be the first time.

A f-barrel can be used to bypass the amp to test each feed.

If no signal, check the antenna is OK. With the recent bad weather, it might have taken a beating.

https://cpc.farnell.com/wolsey/334014/lte-6-way-distribution-amplifier/dp/AP03414 most likely.

Nothing special, but suspect the aerial/input most. As said already a TV in the loft space (with F to TV adapter) or a barrel joiner to bypass the amp to an outlet cable will prove something relatively quickly.

EDIT having tuned in the TV with the portable antenna do not retune again
Take the portable antenna to the loft and use it as the input to the amplifier with an adapter TV to F plug.

NB Any F socket on the TV will be for a satellite dish.

Last edited:
Take the portable antenna to the loft and use it as the input to the amplifier with an adapter TV to F plug.

NB Any F socket on the TV will be for a satellite dish.
actually that's the easiest option - rather than carrying big screens - use the portable aerial instead of the loft antennae and in theory the reception should now work through the wall plates - that will identify if it's the wiring/amp or loft aerial.

F socket - I tried all combinations of cable/input mode to tune the TV with the wall plate - nothing

many thanks

Whatever you did to tune in with the 'portable (aka set top or room) antenna' is the correct way...
But use it to tune / store then move it to loft and replicate the pointing direction you had downstairs. Don't then retune as you have the signals tuned in / stored already when you try the outlets.

Do try different fly lead cables though (after all a broken lead would mean no signal, and trying other outlets it'll still be a broken lead).

Amplifiers can fail, albeit fairly rarely. Often it's the DC power block inside rather than the amplifier itself. DC smoothing capacitors typically dry out over time/use/heat.

Not ever so expensive (especially compared to a new outside aerial install by a professional), but you need to be sure the amp has failed (and still do the existing outside aerial barrel join to an outlet to confirm that aerial is OK) before splashing the cash.

Thanks Rodders - The wiring and amp are all ok - tuning the TV with the portable aerial and then plugging it into the wall plates actually works - but the TV won't actually tune itself when plugged in to the loft amp/wall plate
Strange. So I have a fix - many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom