• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

No signal - diskless mode

wbabbington

Well of its not one thing its another with my box (895) at the moment. Woke up this morning to the 'no satellite signal being received' message. Figured it was just to the high winds we had been having as the signal was in and out last night. So did a planner rebuild and still the same. Tired a forced software update and turning it off at the plug and still nothing.

Everything is blank, anytime, planner, TV guide etc, so after leaving it half a day figured I would try another planner rebuild just in case something had changed only to be met with the message that the box was in 'disk less mode' and it couldn't be done. A quick google suggests that this could mean a new box. But is there a possibility that if the wind knocked the satellite out of position simply realigning it could make it all work again?

I'm in a communal setup and getting someone out to reposition the disk will cost me if it turns out not to be that. So if it does just mean a new box then would much rather find out now before I contact the managing agents.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Last edited:

logiciel

Check with the other occupants whether they're affected, and if they aren't borrow a machine and try it.
If that works then ask Sky to send you a free replacement for yours; if it doesn't then involve the managament.

logiciel

I do hope our wrist-slappers aren't around today, to see that one.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Accuracy is everything!

(If you're never corrected how do you learn anything?) - (Far better to be corrected in an anonymous forum than in a life shattering experience?)

Last edited:

logiciel

No accountant could disagree - just wish our touchier members were as tolerant, or could grow senses of humour.

MartinPickering

I'm in a communal setup and getting someone out to reposition the disk will cost me

The disk is inside the Digibox so it must have been quite a strong wind! :D

Try checking with neighbours. If they also have no signal then the dish or LNB might have been moved/damaged. Otherwise the fault lies in your dwelling.

wbabbington

MartinPickering said:
The disk is inside the Digibox so it must have been quite a strong wind! :D

Try checking with neighbours. If they also have no signal then the dish or LNB might have been moved/damaged. Otherwise the fault lies in your dwelling.

Oops missed that, I did of course mean 'dish' in that scenario.

Finally spoken to a couple of other people (there's very few who actually have sky I've found out!) and they also have had no signal all day. They'd no idea on the disk missing bit though. But that's probably because they'd not been doing as much messing around as me.

I bit the bullet and called the managing agents and someone's coming tomorrow afternoon. So fingers crossed its all down to the dish.

wbabbington

For completeness sake, everything is back to working how it should. The dish had been blown out of alignment, so once it was realigned all was well again.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom