1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'No signal' cut-out on PWD6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by maxzorin99, Jan 19, 2004.

1. maxzorin99

maxzorin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Don't know whether you guys have come across this problem before.

I currently have a panasonic PWD6 display, connected via a component cable to a SONY 735d DVD, which is 'auto-region-switching'.

On some DVDs the picture seems to cut out, giving me a momentary 'No display' message on the plasma, or a quick screen blackout - and then the picture is back again. Its difficult to pin-point when it happens on each DVD, but it does happen for region 1 and 2 DVD's.

When I switch to SCART connection, the problem does not occur, yet i know that component cable should work just as good.

I've been told that because the DVD player is auto-switching ('chipped'), it could be that the DVD player that is causing the problem. Does the PWD6 plasma work with Sony DVD's - or is there a compatability issue? and have you come across this problem before? I haven't been able to swap one DVD player with another cos most of my mates DVD players are the same as mine!

emailed Panasonic with the issue last week - no response!

If i do need to get another DVD, what would be ideal? Panasonic S75, Harman Kardon 25??? - all i want is the ability to play region 1 and 2, and NTSC/PAL progressive output via component.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Can't help with this directly, but I don't think that the PWD6 display has any problems with Sony DVD players.

I have my Sony 900 connected to my PWD6 via component, and have not experienced this problem.

Have you tried removing and re-seating your component board?

3. maxzorin99

maxzorin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Daveb975

IMO, i think it comes down to 3 things - the DVD player, the component cable, or (as you say) the component board.

I'll re-seat it at the weekend, i'll be buying a new DVD soon, so that will eliminate the DVD player.

its a very intermittent problem, but it does mess up your viewing somewhat!

4. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same thing happened to me. I connected a multiregion Toshiba 330 to my Panny using a £53 component to vga cable. The signal seemed to be lost in scenes when there was a lot going on - explosions etc. I thought my sub might be affecting things but it was still the same when switched off. Then I swapped out the DVD player for another one - same thing so I assumed it was the cable and went back to scart - trying to convince myself the picture was as good, it wasn't.

So I thought the cable was defective but I haven't got round to doing anything about it yet.

Assuming the cable is OK, does this mean the Panny can suffer problems when fed a component signal? Anyone else?

5. maxzorin99

maxzorin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    come to think of it, the scenes where it was happening were quite bright and had strobe lighting combined with explosions.

It happens quite a lot on the ALiens DVD (the legacy collection) in the shootout scene ( i think its a chapter called 'Game Time') - a great scene spoiled by this annoying problem.

6. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This happened to me with my Toshiba 510. It happened no matter what connection, prog. scan or interlaced.

Spent 2 weeks on the phone to panny, everyday. They finally told me that they only support DVD players made by Panasonic, and advised I get a refund, which I did.

Panny custom support really is atrocious, then again my dealer was even worse!

7. maxzorin99

maxzorin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TimmyB - did getting a panasonic DVD solve the problem?

8. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know, I didn't try one. I got a refund and purchased a Fujitsu vha20, based on the series 5 glass. My toshiba 510 played fine on this.

9. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am using arcam dv88 via component had no problems up to now
    on pw6, did notice sound drop-outs when using dv88 on my old pw5 with off-board tuner on dolby digital as well as dts againnvia component to tuner and vga to the screen

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It does sound like a dvd problem, the tosh problem is now quite well documented. Have you a mate you could swap players with to see if the problem goes away? Or a very friendly dealer?

11. maxzorin99

maxzorin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'll try and get one - i've got a few things to check out at the weekend on this.

You cannot rule out a faulty plasma screen, but i really hope it is the DVD, cable or component board that's faulty.

12. maxzorin99

maxzorin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    checked it at the weekend - swapped the cable, reseated the board, even tried putting it in slot 2 and not 3.....no change in the problem.

So, it must be the player. I need to buy another one anyway - probably the Sony 730 or HK 25, with NTSC/PAL PScan.

13. maxzorin99

maxzorin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got back from av-sales. Liam and me went through the tests with a denon DVD, trying the Aliens DVD, and the problem was still there - but when we changed the signal from interlaced to progressive - the scene progressed as normal, with no cut-out.

Bit surprising that - but at least it means I am definately getting a progreesive scan DVD player now. that's the only way it can deal with these DVDs.

thanks for all your help!

14. gpa

gpa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a note for you, i have had no problems with sound or picture drop out on my PW6, sorry i cannot help more.