No Signal (but I'm not paying...)

JackFord

Novice Member
Previously had Sky (and +) for a while, but cancelled them about 6 months ago. Still have the boxes and heard you can get all the free digital channels for a one off fee of £20. So I purchased a Satellite extension lead (10m) as the Sky box has relocated across the room. I plug it in today to the TV with the cables etc (though NO phoneline, and it does ask for one). I still have the old blue card in the box, but I get the error No Satallite Signal is being recieved (29). Seems a common error, but is it because;

My service has expired so I can't recieve Sky
My cable is dodgy and not transmitting
My dish is dodgy and not recieveing
My box is broken
No phoneline is plugged into the box

Basically I want to order a Freesat card for £20, but not if the box/cable is broken. Does not paying for Sky give the same error? When I buy the card will it all go back to working.

Also, if I am not an existing Sky customer, but wan't to buy the card and I ring them and they say the dish is dodgy, will they come out and fix it for free?

I know I should probably ring Sky about this but am at work solid for next few days and I heard it takes 30mins to get through, thought someone here might know, Thanks

Miss Chief

Sky can't remove your access to the BBC or ITV as they're public service broadcasters. There's a fault with your equipment. Either dish alignment, fault with the LNB, faulty cable or faulty box. No point in buying a card at this stage. most definitely NOT the phone line.

Sky technical is really quiet these days. past couple of times I've phoned got straight through.

Stevenage Neil

The obvious first place to look would be the "extension cable" you have added.
Can you not temporarily plug the box into the original cable(s)?

JackFord

Novice Member
Yes, I'll try with the original cable, I also have a second Sky+ box, and a dish connection downstairs (to the same dish I assume?) So I will try all combinations, new box, old box downstairs, without cable, with cable, try and find whats up.

So I should be able to get some channels, great!

If its not working up down, with either box, should I go up a ladder and tweak the dish a bit, I hear people have down this.

Thanks

JackFord

Novice Member
Sorted, the cable inside the wall/to the sky box was dodgy. So I ran the new 10m extension through the hole in the wall and straight into the dish. Seems like I already get the channels I wanted (1-5, E4 etc) so won't need to buy a new FreeSat card, great!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom