1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No signal being received

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by ewington, Jul 2, 2005.

1. ewington

ewington
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a search of the forums but can't really find any answers to my problem.
    Recently I have been getting "No signal being received" quite a lot but not all of the time, and while some channels show no signal others will work OK. I have tried the obvious (and easy) option of powering the digibox off and on but this does not seem to solve the problem. I have checked the signal strength and quality and they are both over 60%.

Is there anything else that I can try short of calling out Sky and paying out ££££.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sounds like you have a faulty LNB on your dish, or possibly water leaking into the cables.

3. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ewington,

The same thing has been happening to us. We have a lot of very high trees in line of sight of the dish, which is mounted on a high pole in the garden. We get good reception in the winter; except for torrential rain, but since May when all the trees are in leaf (up to 60 feet height) we get the "No signal received" quite often. We had a tree removed and other branches a few years ago as we could not receive Sky but these have now grown in height and there are some trees, one behind the other, three deep and if there is rain it's hopeless. We are getting the tree surgeon this week.

We had been watching "Heimat" on BBC4 and last night we could not get any signal whatsoever on that channel, just the blank screen. This was the third Friday evening that this happened when we tried to watch this programme, it's so maddening. At the same time BBC1 was o.k., ITV was not. Sky One was o.k. and earlier Channel 4 was not but as soon as their eviction programme was on the picture returned. No Sports or Movie channels either or Channel 5 or FX. This morning my husband got up early to watch the Lion's match with New Zealand (it had rained in the night) No picture at all. By 10 a.m. we started getting a picture again and now at 1 a.m. it's excellent on all channels. I too was putting the box in standby, switching off for a few minutes, putting it back on, leaving on standby for about three minutes but zilch. I think probably the channel providers don't give as much power (I know it's more complicated than that, something to do with qwam? etc.) when mainly children are watching.

You may not have the same conditions causing your problems. It could be we are both suffering from a faulty LNB or water leaking into the cables, as suggested by Nick.

Thank you for your help Nick.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The BBC channels are transmitted from Astra 2D (because the BBC don't want them to be seen outside the UK), and therefore the BBC channels are usually the first to go if there's a problem.

5. Keithcun

Keithcun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That's strange because when my system went down with "No signal recieved" the only channels I could get were BBC1,BBC2 and ITV.

6. ewington

ewington
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick, thanks for the reply. The problem seemed to start after the storms last week so it sounds like water in the cable could be the prblem. It's been dry so far today and we have not had any problems, I will now keep an eye on when the problem occurs and what he weather is doing.