1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No serial numbers = no 5 Year KEF Warranty

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by wookie, Feb 11, 2003.

1. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found out that my eggs + sub have no warranty from KEF as they have no serial numbers!
    I guess I will have to contact the mail order company/supplier If anything goes wrong:suicide:

Anyone else out there got a set of these without serial numbers?:confused:

2. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The warranty is the responsibility of the retailer anyway. The manufacturer has no liability to the consumer.

More information available from Trading Standards .

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    So long as you have the proof of purchase receipt you should be fine. Have you tried ringing Kef to clarify the situation? Kef :-(01622)672261

Kef customer service is fabulous. Last time I said this someone contradicted my view, apparantly some time in the past they went off for a while but I've always found them very fair and helpful.

Mark.

4. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoke to KEF, very helpful but will not honour 5 year warranty if products have no serial numbers.
    The KHT2005 system only has this 5 YR warranty if the speakers have serial numbers and are purchased from an authorised dealer.

Fair enough!
    I will just have to hassle the mail order company if any problems pop up.

5. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it a problem though? Do speakers ever "break down" I'm sure in certain circumstances there may be manufacturing problems with them but wouldn't these be noticeable "out of the box". Isn't the fact that the only people who give 5 year warranties on anything are speaker manufacturers as they know damn well that they are unlikely ever to be used.

Well, do speakers break down?

6. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    All the time. Cone surrounds perish or separate. Dust caps, in the cone center come unglued. Binding posts snap off, come loose. Cabinet veneers de-laminate. Owners blow drivers quite often, although that isn't a warranty issue. etc,etc.

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a brand new, official dealer pair of Ruark Preludes at £800 and one of them was unusable straight out of the box.

Turned out the internal bracing had come loose, presumably due to an over-enthusiastic courier.

Anyway, both the dealer and Ruark were nothing short of excellent with their response to the problem. I even had a couple of emails from the Ruark MD making sure the replacements were OK and if there was anything else they could do for me. Superb.

BUT, it does prove that even fairly expensive speakers can be 'broken' at purchase.

Actually, I'd say about 50% of kit I've bought hasn't worked out of the box. A Rega Planet CD player, Denon 2802 AV amp etc...
    quite worrying really.

8. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209

my KHT2005 sub stop working arfter 1yr & 4 months so i'ts a good job i bought my kefs from a authorised dealer :D

dvd

9. sTTu

sTTu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi

Do you mean that the serial number labels have been removed by the retailer before dispatch to you ? Or are they grey imports that just have no serial no. ?

Surely KEF should sort out a manufacturing defect anyway if you can prove the date of purchase. Do Kef not have pan-european warrantee like many other manufacturers ?

sTTu

10. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

I bought Kef eggs from an authorised dealer, no sign of Ser No on the eggs, only the sub. My sub failed after 2 years, after some minor argy bargy with dealer it was fixed (replaced) for free. They claimed that the 5 years does not apply to active compnents ie the amp in the sub!!

Interesting I checked what looks like a date code on the replacement and it says 33 02!! My original box says 46 00. Does anyone know when the improved sub (more power) started shipping??

BigH