No serial number, no service?

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just watching a bidding war on an FMJ amp on ebay which was listed as having no serial number and taking that into account I thought it went for quite a lot:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-FMJ-A22...oryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was wondering where the owner would stand if it developed a fault. Obviously there wouldn't be a guarantee with it but would Arcam fix it for a price or not touch it as the serial number is missing?

Just incase your wondering, I wasn't bidding on it myself!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Interesting that they will only accept payment by cash or cheque or bank transfer

To be fair, that's not a bad selection of payment options. I'm surprised no explanation was offered for the lack of serial number though.

Never ceases to amaze me the big money some people will pay for kit with bits missing, without proof of original purchase and without a reason being given for selling. Personally I wouldn't take the chance unless it was very cheap - some of the stuff goes for near dealer ex-demo money.

All ways of paying for which there is no recourse if the item turns out to be dodgy or a phantom. Personally I wouldn't pay that sort of money without using PayPal or a credit card. At least there is a degree of security.

I suspect different manufacturers would take their own light on the subject and with todays capable software I would not be surprised if it had some form of embedded security/S.No. anyhow to identify it.

Sometime ago I bought and then sold a piece of Hi-Fi equipment that was void of a serial no..... also from ebay... lol! (it was tested before buying) I made up an identical *looking* serial no. (no I'm not in that game) and it was successfully serviced by the manufacturer from the buying client!

simon100 said:
All ways of paying for which there is no recourse if the item turns out to be dodgy or a phantom. Personally I wouldn't pay that sort of money without using PayPal or a credit card. At least there is a degree of security.

I think if it was 'phantom' he wouldn't have mentioned the serial number and he does offer cash on collection, not to mention his 100% positive feedback.

I just think £400 is too much of a gamble when it could go wrong next week and Arcam may tell you where to stick it due to the missing serial number.

How can it not have a serial no? Only if someone has removed it, surely. Which would suggest ..........

It certainly sounds dodgy but Arcam serial numbers are only on paper stickers so I'm sure the seller could come up with some kind of excuse. It's also possible that it was originally stolen and then legally obtained in a police or insurance company auction.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom