1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No scart on DAV-888

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Garion, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Garion

Garion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Brought a Philips 36" screen and a nice new QED video only RGB scart and QED digital co-ax.......then brought a Sony DAV-888.

Guess what? that old one......no scart on the DAV, only composites and s-video, with only RGB and s-video on the TV. Yeah, I know...but the DAV 888 was only £550 and seemed a good buy, and I am new to all this.

So...will I lose too much quality going through a top quality s-video cable? Or can I get a converter to convert the composite out on the DAV to the RGB scart on the TV?

Thanks.

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    As far as I know the DAVS888 is like the DAVS550 in that it has composite, s-video and component out for its video connections. It also has NTSC progressive scan on component which is only really useful if you buy a multiregion version or use a lot of region free ntsc dvds.

Your best bet without spending too much money is a s-video to scart lead as you've already suggested. You can get converters to convert component to scart rgb and they do a good job but the results aren't as good as true scart rgb out as it creates another stage of processing where picture informatino is lost or corrupted.

Philips being a european company do televisions that offer their best pictures via scart rgb and so its not the best match in heaven it has to be said. Quite frankly you can get cheap £30 dvd players that offer a better picture than the Sony with the Philips because they feature scart rgb output.

Because of the lack of scart rgb the Sony is best paired up with systems that feature component inputs like some Toshiba sets and most projectors and rear projection televisions.

I don't know if the Philips set has pixelplus but assuming it does you would definitely be better off with a system with scart rgb to give the best results.

There are lots of more suitable systems out there;

JVC THA-75R which is a 6.1 home cinema system
    Jamo DVR50 which offers great perfromance and divx/xvid compatability

Pioneer NV-DS99 system with sacd and dvd audio playback.

All of these will offer a far better picture than the Sony and improved media and video format compatibility

3. Garion

Garion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thank you although I am slightly depressed now. Know anyone who wants a cheap DAV-888?

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    How long have you had it? I thought you may have just got it and have the chance of returning it.

5. Garion

Garion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Checked with Dixons, taking it back Weds. The Pioneer NS99 got excellent reviews and multiregion, plays both SACD and DVD A, cheaper then the £550 I got the DAV 888 for.

I'm going for that.

Thank you for your help.