No Satellite Signal Received

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by MarkFitDT, May 7, 2007.

1. MarkFitDT

MarkFitDT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This isnt the first time that I have had this problem (and I certainly arent the first person either!)!!

I have problems only with specific channels (including BBC2, C4, C5, UkGold+1, Sky Sports News) that come up with the dreaded message.

I think I might have isolated the problem but I am still not 100% sure if I am right and what can be done. I narrowed it down to either being the connection on the back of the box to the coaxial cable or the cable itself as when I unscrewed the cable and put it back in (which took a lot of fiddling!) it seems to be ok for a while (it really is pot luck on how much to screw the cable on etc.)

I had some coaxial extension cable so I screwed this into the back of the box and screwed the Sky Dish cable into the extension cable. The problem still occurs on the exact same channels and if I unscrew the cable and screw it back together (it can check a minute or 2 to get it right) the channel works again.

Does this mean that the cable is the problem? If so, do I need to replace the whole cable and is this fairly straight forward to do?

Thanks for any advice.

2. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Check that the f connector is fitted correctly - see here
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fconn.htm

Also check to see that there are no kinks,squashed cable or sharp bends in the cable as these can cause loss of channels due to signal reflections within the cable (as can wall plates and any connections in the cable)

3. Wheel_nut

Wheel_nut
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would your Digibox be a Panasonic by any chance?

4. MarkFitDT

MarkFitDT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wheel nut - no it isnt a Panasonic.

It is a Pace and we have had it since approx 1999.

Thanks for your reply.

5. MarkFitDT

MarkFitDT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave - thanks for the answer. To be honest I cant see that there is any difference with the cable than before. Sometime when I fiddle with it I havent even got to the sofa and the channel goes again, other times it can last for hours.