1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No satellite signal is being received

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by dogzilla, Apr 10, 2005.

1. dogzilla

dogzilla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last few months we have noticed this problem.

Its very strange, it ONLY happens during the day when the sun is shining and we have a blue sky.

Sky tell us its our equipment so we have to pay £65 for an engineer visit.

I personally thing its something like its misaligned. The guy said, maby the wind blew it, MABY YOUR ENGINEER NEVER TIGHTNENED PROPERLY. "its still your equipment sir" what a complete retardo.

We are paying them like £50-60/month or something, and they wanna stiff us for more money when its their rubbish that is broken. NTL never charged us to fix problems, what the fudge?

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's possible that it's a misalignment problem, but it could also be a faulty LNB. Unfortunately this time of year the Sun is at about the same place in the sky as the satellite at around mid-day, so the Sun's heat is reflected straight at the LNB by the dish. Not so much of a problem with perforated dishes, but can still happen.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

It's not their rubbish though:)
    You own the hardware and after the intial 12 month warranty you are expected to cover any repair costs that crop up. The bonus is that when you cancel you can still use the system for the free channels or sell it on the open market.

NTL and other cable companies only lend you the hardware which is why they cover any repair costs but the downside is that when you stop paying they take everything back which means no viewing of even the BBC digital channels.

Plus and minus points for both platforms:)

4. Navrig

Navrig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Tell them you are going to cancel your contract with them because of the regular loss of signal. If they call your bluff then do it. It is so easy to set up again. If they are keen to keep you they may well offer to check the alignment for free. I wouldn't expect them to replace anything though.

5. Steve170

Steve170

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I had a ‘No satellite signal being received’ problem, which was intermittent at first, but got worse until it was dead 99% of the time. I bought a new LNB for £15 from simplydigital.co.uk, slid the old one out, new one in and 5 mins later everything was working.

When you can get a picture, is the picture ok? If it is, I suspect it’s the LNB rather than the dish being misaligned. Personally, I’d get a new LNB and change it yourself. If that doesn’t work, you could always try moving the dish yourself, assuming there’s someone who can keep an eye on the TV whilst you do it. I think it’s worth a go, rather than paying Sky £65 to get an engineer out, who’ll then probably charge you another £30 for a new LNB.

I’ve always thought that my picture is better in the evening than during the day. Maybe the sun does have an effect.

6. DLPGirl

DLPGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having the same problem started yesterday "No satellite signal being recieved"

My LNB has been up there less than a year!!