• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

No Satellite Signal in new house 2nd Bedroom connection

VinylHogger

Established Member
Hi folks,

I wondered if someone may be able to help with this. The answer may be quite obvious but just wanted to check a few things before ballsing about borrowing then climbing ladders....

I have moved in to a new house. The living room has a Sky feed already running through the wall from the dish. No signal problems at all there anyway (since doubled up and am now running SKy HD)

The bedroom is where the problem lies. It has 2 sky feeds coming from the dish as the previous occupants had Sky + installed.

When I plugged my second (older) Sky Digibox in to one of the 2 bedroom feeds, it kept saying 'No Satellite signal is being received'. I then tried it with the second cable and still nothing. I even plugged my Sky HD box in and again not a thing. No signal at all. Checked all conenctions thoroughly.

I then looked at the dish outside and found that all the connections were in place OK as far as I could tell. 4 feed run to a little rectangular box on the dish (whatever that is called).

I can only think that for some reason the SKy guy disconnected them when the 2nd feed was being installed for downstairs. Have no idea why he would have done this but am I missing something here?

WOuld be grateful for any advice. Many Thanks :)

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
The little box on the dish is the lnb. I doubt if they have been disconnected but the only way to be sure is slide up the connections cover on the lnb and have a look. You might have water ingress in the cables or some other faulty connections.

VinylHogger

Established Member
Have you tried it downstairs?

Yes, it works perfectly downstairs. No problems at all.

The previous occupants had Sky + upstairs. I can only think that the Sky Engineer would have disconnected the 2 cables from the LNB when he was installing a 2nd cable to the living room.

Will not know until I get ahold of ladders so I can check this. Why would he have done this though? Surely using a Skybox for freeview channels is perfectly legal?

Just to clarify that the old Sky box worked downstairs no problem as we were using that before we got the HD box.

Cheers :)

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Will not know until I get ahold of ladders so I can check this. Why would he have done this though? Surely using a Skybox for freeview channels is perfectly legal?

:)

Small correction using a skybox for free to air channels (or fta + ftv with a card) is 100% legal. Receiving freeview channels with a skybox is impossible :D

I cannot imagine that any one will have disconnected at the lnb (No point in doing it).

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Just to clarify that the old Sky box worked downstairs no problem as we were using that before we got the HD box.

Just clarifying - the old Sky box still works downstairs - you have tried it?

Can you trace the cables in the bedroom right to the LNB?

VinylHogger

Established Member
Just clarifying - the old Sky box still works downstairs - you have tried it?

Can you trace the cables in the bedroom right to the LNB?

Yes, well I haven't tried it for a couple of weeks but I'll fire it up again tonight just to make sure. I can trace the cables right into the LNB but cannot see if they are connected until I get a ladder to see underneath the cover.

We used this same Sky box for 4 years in my previous address and also for the first week or two at this address with no problems at all

VinylHogger

Established Member
I'll bet it is the box at fault and not the cabling............

I actually tried the HD box upstairs and got absolutely no signal at all. Works perfectly downstairs. Will Know a lot more when I get to look in the LNB!

VinylHogger

Established Member
I'll bet it is the box at fault and not the cabling............

In fact. Ignore my last post. OK I'll bet a tenner it's not the box that's at fault :)

VinylHogger

Established Member
Right, this is becoming a total mystery now. I actually had it working in the 2nd bedroom earlier today. Only 1 of the 2 feeds worked but then we go to switch it on tonight and sure enough 'No satellite signal is being received' pops up.

I really hope someone can crack this somehow as it's driving me properly nuts....

1 Sky dish (4 port LNB, all cables checked and are FULLY connected. No breaks in cable or water damage. This was working fine before we moved in)

2 feeds go to bedroom (unable to get signal at all until today when I climbed up to the LNB. Nothing appeared to be wrong there anyway. Just tightened things up a tiny bit. Hours later there is no signal again having not touched anything)

2 feeds to living room (works perfect here with both Sky HD and digibox)

Both the boxes work perfectly fine in the llivingroom and I even brought the Sky HD box upstairs.

When I did get it working today, the Sky HD box was on downstairs and we were watching both at the same time. When we discovered this evening that the signal had gone down again, we thought it might be because something was recording on the HD box downstairs. Disabled the recording and nothing again still.

Please help someone! :suicide:

VinylHogger

Established Member
I recommend you remake the bedroom connections using this guide:
How to fit F Connectors to coaxial cable

Hi,

Thanks for that. I really honestly don't believe that is necessary. It was working perfectly before and now it's not.

The cables are fine. I have tracked them all the way out to the dish and there are no problems whatsoever.

Is there some way of enabling/disabling ports on the LNB somehow?

MartinPickering

Prominent Member
But have you actually unscrewed the 'F' plugs? It's a common mistake to cut off ALL the copper braid so the earth connection is tenuous or non-existent.

You can disable ports by hitting them with a large hammer.

VinylHogger

Established Member
But have you actually unscrewed the 'F' plugs? It's a common mistake to cut off ALL the copper braid so the earth connection is tenuous or non-existent.

You can disable ports by hitting them with a large hammer.

OK so now a new problem. All of a sudden the Sky Digibox is stuck on standby. Perhaps the large hammer might also fix this problem also?

I do maintain that this was in perfect working order previously (honestly).

It's just one thing after another. Will need a replacement Sky box and will probably be back to square one again anyway.

I don't think God wants me to have a second TV!

MartinPickering

Prominent Member
"Stuck in standby" could indicate a short-circuit in the 'F' connector, or a faulty Digibox. What's the make and model number on the label underneath?

VinylHogger

Established Member
"Stuck in standby" could indicate a short-circuit in the 'F' connector, or a faulty Digibox. What's the make and model number on the label underneath?

It's a Pace BSKYB 2500 S4. I would guess it's about 10 years old. Standby light stuck on red even when switched on with nothing but power cable plugged in.

Have also tried a different power cable :(

VinylHogger

Established Member
Fair enough point. I'll have a look on Ebay and get a newer one. Sure what's the worst that could happen?!

Thanks very much for your help by the way I appreciate you taking the time to post. You might hear me whingin on here again pretty soon as I'm not terribly optimistic that the new box is gonna work either!

:smashin:

VinylHogger

Established Member
The plot thickens,

I have acquired a replacement Sky box which was been working for years for my in-laws unti they got Sky HD.

Still 'No satellite signal'. I will now have to carefully track all the cables to the dish as am 100% sure this box is working.

What a pain in the ass :(

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinPickering

Prominent Member
I have acquired a replacement Sky box which was been working for years for my in-laws unti they got Sky HD.

If it hasn't been used for a while, out-of-date firmware could prevent it from working.

If it's a model that's prone to capacitor failure (especially Grundig, Thomson and some Amstrads) then this often shows up after a Digibox has been allowed to cool down.

John

The plot thickens,

Still 'No satellite signal'. I will now have to carefully track all the cables to the dish as am 100% sure this box is working.

What a pain in the ass :(

Please don't use symbols when typing words. If its one deemed bad by the filter, it will ****** it out. If you use a symbol you will avoid the filter and earn yourself some points :devil:
Cheers

MartinPickering

Prominent Member
You have received a new private message at AVForums.com from VinylHogger, entitled "Sky problem resolved!".

This is the message that was sent:
Hi,

Just thought I would let you know that I managed to finally solve the Sky problem ref the below thread.

There was a fifth cable which had been unplugged from the LNB (God knows why). I plugged this in and finally in business.

Now I can just send the Missus upstairs when I want to use my PS3/watch football!

Thanks again for your help

OK. For future reference, it's better to post your conclusion in the actual discussion, rather than send private messages. PMs are intended for use when you want to pass on personal information such as your address.

VinylHogger

Established Member
No problem. Just wanted to make sure you got the message.

Thanks indeed

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom