Question 'No satellite signal...' but 100% signal strength

inviccsuBob

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have an old Sky + HD box which I've used successfully in the past as a freeview box with no card. Now trying to set it up again and getting 'No satellite signal is being received' on all channels. However, the Settings screen shows 100% signal strength and quality, with Lock OK etc. I've done a software update. There's no internet or telephone connection but TV guide is correct and up to date - except that, for example, BBC 2 HD is shown as channel 141 rather than 102 as per my other, card enabled, Sky + HD box.

Any ideas?

First note that it is NOT a Freeview box, it is Freesat From Sky (albeit without a viewing card). Freeview is DTT (Digital Terrestrial TV) received via an aerial NOT a dish.

Second please tell us manufacturer and model(version number) of Sky box - the manufacturers name is mouded into the top casing (Sky, Thomson, Amstrad or Samsing) and the version number (and manufacturer) can be found in the "Details" sub menu on "Settings (there are 9 different models). This is essential info before we can advise further as different models suffer different faults.

First note that it is NOT a Freeview box, it is Freesat From Sky (albeit without a viewing card). Freeview is DTT (Digital Terrestrial TV) received via an aerial NOT a dish.

Second please tell us manufacturer and model(version number) of Sky box - the manufacturers name is mouded into the top casing (Sky, Thomson, Amstrad or Samsing) and the version number (and manufacturer) can be found in the "Details" sub menu on "Settings (there are 9 different models). This is essential info before we can advise further as different models suffer different faults.

OK, sorry for the lack of detail. Manufacturer: Amstrad, Model number: DMR-V19, Version number: 4F3001. I appreciate that it's not a Freeview box - I did use a lower case f but should perhaps have used inverted commas!

No, just call it by the right name - FreeSatFromSky or Free Satellite.:D

Apologies @inviccsuBob , some members just can't help themselves picking up new posters on trivial details when they know full well what you mean and should really know better

You probably need to wait for a software update to sort out the listings order. It can be 'forced' can't remember how off the top of my head, but it's a button combination on start up

No idea on the signal issue. Are you using a different box at anytime, is the signal ok on that ?

Apologies @inviccsuBob , some members just can't help themselves picking up new posters on trivial details when they know full well what you mean and should really know better
Too many people confuse others by using incorrect terminology. As I was already replying to the OP I thought I would also make this valid point.
You probably need to wait for a software update to sort out the listings order. It can be 'forced' can't remember how off the top of my head, but it's a button combination on start up
Incorrect replacement of HD channels into SD slots is down to the card neing used and whether it has an HD sub. On the latest software on the later machines (DRX890/895 models) this is determined by the last card used in the machine (I believe other models do not "remember" this) - but as this is an Amstrad DRX780 IIRC that update has not happened (and is unlikely to as I believe updates to firmware will no longer be made on these early models.

To the OP with regard to the signal issue this could be down to several things but the most likely on this model is a failing power supply (PSU) on one or more of its multiple outputs. To rule out some other possibilities could you try connecting this box to the dish cables and TV that the other one is connected to and tell us the result.

If it is the PSU this can usually be repaired but unless you are handy with a soldering and have stock of the relevant components it would be a lot cheaper to buy a later model (the later models have a smaller case) - sometimes free on various sites like Freecycle or around £10 upwards from Cash Coverters etc and often a lot cheaper at car boot sales, Gumtree etc[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
If you were apologising for me - don't.
It was quite clear that OP was making a common mistake, one that mattered, and I corrected it.

Thanks for your time Dave. I've tried the box at the other location with the same results. Also, there is no change if I insert my Sky card - it's recognized and correctly reported but no change in behavior. The area above the PSU is unusually hot so you're probably on the right track. I've got things working well enough for the time being using a Chromecast, but that's not very convenient. I'll pursue your suggestions on sourcing replacement box. Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom