1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"No Satellite Signal Being Recieved" message

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by james616, Jan 24, 2005.

1. james616

james616

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got SKY+ installed and have a fundamental problem with it.

When I try and view a recorded program it plays for about 5 seconds and then the message "No Satellite Signal Being Recieved" appears. The data is definitley there because if I start the programme from a user specified time before viewing it moves to that point and then the error message appears again.

Its a Pace box if that matters.

Thanks

2. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would search the threads for how to re-boot your system or to troubleshoot ,or call out sky engineer who installed it.

IF you didn't get a new LNB installed could be the problem. I had a similar problem and a new LNB sorted it although I was also losing signal streams when watching normally.

3. james616

james616

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that pezzer - still no joy.

I have been into the system menus and discovered the following:

Input 1:

Signal strength and quality both high
    Lock indicator OK
    Network ID 992
    Transport Stream 07fd

Input 2

Signal Strength and quality zero (no bar whatsoever)
    Lock Indicator Not Locked

Other details

Pace box
    Model 2.057B1
    EPG Software 1.26.v2

The install was a SKY+ and multiroom job (moving original sky box into upstairs bedroom). We have had Sky digital for a long time so surely it would need a new LNB for this setup? (didnt actually watch the installer do it)

All other functions are absolutley fine. I can be watching one program and use the search banner to record another. I can then go onto channel being recorded and rewind, pause do everything you could want to do.

The only problem as I have stated is when wanting to watch a previously recorded programme (by selecting it via the Sky+ planner) it comes on and then the "No Satellite Signal being recieved message" is displayed after about 3 seconds.

It is so annoying!

4. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The network id and transport streams are wrong. It looks as if the dish is slightly out of alignment. This happens when a quad lnb ,which is heavier than a single, is fitted and the output is not checked properly. Call Sky, because it has happened within the first year there will be no charge for a service call.

5. Jimbo73

Jimbo73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm having this exact problem with my Sky+ setup. When I moved recently, I bought my Sky+ LNB with me and used it to replace the single Sky LNB that the previous occupants had left.

It normally works perfectly ok, with at least 50% signal strength and signal quality, but occasionally it loses the signal, then the lock... then the channels start dropping off.

The dish is very badly located - I can reach it through an upstairs window (when the window is open it blocks the dish!) - and if I wipe the LNB with a lint-free cloth, everything returns...

Wondering if frost on the LNB could be killing my Sky+?

6. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is all very familiar ! I had similar problems and often noticed that the transport stream code also switched codes. Sky swapped my sky+ box , checked dish alignment etc etc to no avail. Re booting would work for a while - then they changed the LNB ( interestingly enough under the warranty of the replacement box) and since then I have had no problems.

7. nicko0207

nicko0207

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had similar problems when my Sky+ was installed (losing satellite reception on one channel) although no problem before with Sky. Turned out the engineer who installed the quad LNB didn't know how to install it properly and put the rubber gasket on the wrong side which affected the focus. After 5 mins work from someone who knew what they were doing it's been perfect ever since.

nick

8. james616

james616

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what seems to be no reason whatsoever everything is working as it should now.

Now if this continues then I will be a happy bunny. However if it is some sort of intermittent problem and I call an engineer out, they may come when it is working fine and it will be difficult to fix. I would rather it be knackered full stop then working sometimes and not others.

I guess the next few days will tell me.

Anyone else experienced similar acts of God - where the Sky+ fixes itself?!

9. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the time :D

10. Cheesyscot

Cheesyscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having a similar but not quite the same problem with my FREE4VIEW. In the last few weeks I have been having difficulty to tune into eg BBC1, 2, 5 and radio 855. No issues with ITV, C4, SKY. When I switch to these channel, particularly in the evenings and weekends, the receiver box gives off a buzz and then there is no picture displayed or sometimes the previous channels picture freezes and breaks up or I get no information available. I have been switching from the low numbers (101 etc) to 942. Works ok but even these are now failing occasionally. I have been 'resolving' this by unplugging the box. Sometimes works but usually fails again. I have also been loosening the tension on the cable. I live in Paris, so if it is extremely expensive to get someone out to check the dish which is on the roof. Any ideas what could be causing this ? Any suggestions on what to try ?

thanks
    ps first time in forum so apologies if I have chosen to enter this into the wrong topic.