no satellite signal being received on Sky+ but 2nd box is fine

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by alleycat, Jan 2, 2005.

1. alleycat

alleycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a novice so bear with me.

I've been losing signal and the use of my Sky+ box over the last 4 days or so. My original Sky box (now in another room) continues to work, except for a brief period about 2 days ago.

I've tried the usual switch off/on, reset LNB, full system reset but the problem persists.

Anything else I could try before succumbing to the £65 call out fee?

2. FMC

FMC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Check in the service mode what your signal is like (Service ,4 ,6) it could be one of your coaxial cable is broke (like mine did) or the connector on the LNB or sky box could be loose.

3. alleycat

alleycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    FMC I check the signal strength whenever the problem occurs.

Sometimes there is no bar, sometimes Input 1 shows no bar & Input 2 shows levels between 50% & 75%, other times the bars go up and down like a fiddler's elbow !!

4. FMC

FMC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Does it say not locked on either signal?

It sounds like a loose connection to me ,the easiest one is to check the sky box.Then if you can check the LNB ,because if the other box is working then it has to be a loose connection.

5. alleycat

alleycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah when there isn't a signal it says not locked and the code is 0000 then when there is a signal it says locked and the code changes.

Sorry for basic replies but thanks for your help.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    As the standard digibox is working it may not be a bad idea to hook that up to each of the two LNB feeds in turn and see how the system works.
    It could at least point to a problem with the signal getting to the digibox which would prevent the installer from doing a simple SKY+ swap out then having to be called back the next day.

7. FMC

FMC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That sounds amost certainly like a knackered coaxial cable then.Mine did the same except I got the sky engineer to do a homer for me and he drilled thru the original cable and I didnt know.Spent all day trying to fix it until my mate came and checked continuity(sp) thru the cable.To do that get a multi-meter and put one contact on the centre wire and the other on the mesh wire and if it beeps then it a knackered coaxial wire.

8. alleycat

alleycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks I'll try swapping boxes, FMC your suggestion about checking continuity makes sense but I'm not sure I'd know where to start.

I spose all I'm trying to find out is if this prob can be solved relatively inexpensively or do I need to buy a new Sky+ box seeing as my warranty ran out on Dec 3rd !!

Maybe Sky plant viruses in boxes owned by people who refuse the extended warranty? :laugh:

9. alleycat

alleycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I removed the LNB feeds, I found one to be mucky inside with no "copper wire" visible, the other appeared in perfect condition.

I've attempted to make a good connection with the damaged feed and I now have a good signal and what appears to be a functional system.

Is there anythng I need to check further in terms of how the moisture and muck got into the connection?

I seem to recall it being a wet rainy day when the installation was made and I needed to recall an engineer to make good what was a poor initial installation, I was told that no phone connection was necessary to my 2nd box and the running of cables was shoddy to say the least, the "engineer" was clearly looking to cut corners !!

Thanks for your help.