no satelite sign on sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by MonkeyNutz, Mar 25, 2006.

1. MonkeyNutz

MonkeyNutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, I had sky (not sky+) fitted just after christmas, Its worked fautlessly until the last week or so. I`m now getting garbled pictures and sound making it completely unwatchable. Sometimes the signal drops completely and it says `no satelite signal`.

Resetting the box; sometimes it comes back on garbled and sometimes the box just says no satelite signal.

I checked and tightened the cable on the back of the box to no effect, and I checked the signal quality in the settings menu and its shows a grey bar about 10 - 15% full.

Whats the most likely cause of this? we had strong winds and snow over the last week or so so maybe the dish has moved?

Is aligning the dish something I could do myself or is it best to call sky out?

And is this covered by warrenty or am I likely to get charged for it? Its been in for less than 3 months.

cheers

russ

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    if the wind has moved your dish it will not be covered by the warrenty, if you can see the pic on your tele and move the dish at the same time then try repositioning the dish yourself,just make a good mental note of where the dish is already aligned,then move the dish in small increments at a time,allow a few seconds to see how the bar responds as this will not be instant, this is how i set up my fathers system and he has excellent strength and quality, but do this at your own risk
    :smashin:

3. MonkeyNutz

MonkeyNutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the replies. I live in scotland about 2 miles from the north sea so the winds can be pretty strong at times ;)

I`ll get onto sky and see what they say.

Thanks

russ

4. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    bet you a pound to a pinch of pig schmuck it aint,if it worked when it was installed and dish aligment goes out sky will tell you it is not covered.
    On what do you base your comment.mine is on the warranty T&C
    I guess yours is based on what you think is fair/reasonable.
    I do agree with you about quality of install,good customer service and all the other arguments that are used,but at the end of the day sky make it perfectly clear....misalingment is not covered, at the very best they may buckle after a couple of days , certainly not months...:mad:

5. MonkeyNutz

MonkeyNutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, best bet to me seems to phone sky (havnt got round to it yet) and play dumb (and to be honest I`m not far off when it comes to my sky knowledge), simply saying newly fitted sky doesnt work anymore and see what they say, If they send somebody round anyway who`s prepared to re cable or whatever then simply re aligning the dish should be a quick and painless job. Surely then if the system is under warrenty they cant suddenly say `oh you owe us 65 quid callout` after the guy has been?? Or so they specify this before the engineer is sent out??

If this is the case then I may as well have a play with it myself, cant make it any worse than it is at the moment (famous last words) ;)

6. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Under English (I guess Scottish is the same on Sale of Goods) Law you can't go around supplying services and then making exclusions, its called an unfair contract. Three months is simply not good eanough and their contract doesn't help them get out of it. I would give Sky an opportunity to put it right. If they refuse: WRITE to them saying that you are going to have it independently assessed and repaired and should the independent find that the installation was not done to a professional standard - you will be sending them the bill.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Goods must be "fit for the purpose", and loose satellite dishes aren't.

8. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I hope your right,in an ideal world etc etc, sale of goods act states must be fit the the purpose for a reasonable amount of time, what defines reasonable, well at the most 6 weeks for any adjustment,you will be very hard pushed to prove it was left loose especially after 3 months,
    I would love to see sky do this FOC all i am trying to do is point out how it works,or doesnt as the case may be,My guess is you get a reasonable engineer he will find a fault;) , but if you get a jobsworth:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :suicide: