• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

no sat to other tv's in house

jaydee242

Standard Member
ive just ran new aerial cables to 5 different tv's in my house all back to my main tv, the main tv has sky+ connected to it, at the main tv i have a slx8b amplifier ive plugged all cables into the tv outputs of the amp, im getting great tv pictures in all the tv's but only getting sky in the main tv, ive got the main aerial going into the back of a dvd player then into the sat rf1out to main tv and rfout2 into the in uhf of amp can anyone help please

Broadz

Distinguished Member
ive just ran new aerial cables to 5 different tv's in my house all back to my main tv, the main tv has sky+ connected to it, at the main tv i have a slx8b amplifier ive plugged all cables into the tv outputs of the amp, im getting great tv pictures in all the tv's but only getting sky in the main tv, ive got the main aerial going into the back of a dvd player then into the sat rf1out to main tv and rfout2 into the in uhf of amp can anyone help please

Tune the other TVs using their manual tuner to whichever channel your Sky box is outputting its RF frequency on.

jaydee242

Standard Member
when im re tuning tv it doesnt seem to be picking the sky up in any other tv sometimes it picks sky up but very poor pic with bad interference have i got the cables right in back of tv,sky,dvd and amp ?

Broadz

Distinguished Member
when im re tuning tv it doesnt seem to be picking the sky up in any other tv sometimes it picks sky up but very poor pic with bad interference have i got the cables right in back of tv,sky,dvd and amp ?

If it picks Sky up at all then it would suggest that the RF cable is connected correctly. Particularly as you say that the TVs are picking up the terrestrial signal successfully. No idea what DVD or amps have to do with this.

It's possible that the frequency which your Sky box is outputting its analogue signal on is clashing with an existing terrestrial signal - try changing the output frequency. Then retuning the remote TVs. You are using the analogue tuners on the remote TVs, not the digital (Freeview) ones, aren't you?

logiciel

the main aerial going into the back of a dvd player then into the sat rf1out to main tv and rfout2 into the in uhf of amp
You seem to have left some text out of the middle of that.
First though, why do you have an aerial connection into a DVD player?:confused:
Is it actually a player and recorder?
Either way the aerial goes into it and out again, but into what?
You write "sat" after "into" but that word seems to relate to what comes after it, not before.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
jaydee242: Are you using the analogue, not Freeview, tuners on the other TV's?

jaydee242

Standard Member
i have a digital aerial on the roof, an aerial lead direct from there goes into the back of the satellite then on the back of the satellite from the rf 1 out i have a lead going direct to the main tv, then from the rf2 out of the back of the satellite reciever a lead goes into the in uhf of the slx8b amplifier, then each of the other tv's are fed from the tv outputs of the slx8b amplifier, when i re-tune each tv they re-tune digital and analogue (sky is usually on analogue channel)

logiciel

OK, that still looks odd all in one sentence, but it's easier to understand this time. Digital aerial just means an ordinary terrestrial aerial, for both analogue and digital, and satellite means receiver - both correct? If so the connections are correct. When you run the analogue tuning - NOT the digital - on the extension TVs you should get the Sky source as one of the channels, and the brackets seem to be saying that you do. So, what is the problem?

Last edited:

jaydee242

Standard Member
i dont know what the problem is i just cant get sky on other tv's no matter what i try, as you can tell im not very knowledgeable when it comes to this

logiciel

ive got the main aerial going into the back of a dvd player then into the sat rf1out to main tv
i have a digital aerial on the roof, an aerial lead direct from there goes into the back of the satellite then on the back of the satellite from the rf 1 out i have a lead going direct to the main tv
OK - let's start by finding out which of those two is correct.
You're more knowledgeable then me, in fixing that "slx8b amplifier" - I don't even know what it is.

Last edited:

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Try this:-

Connect one of your "other TV's" lead directly into RF2 of the Sky box and see if you can tune that TV to the Sky picture. Let us know the result.

daz01

Standard Member
Hi
can anybody help me, i have run a cable from my sky+ box to a tv in a bedroom i can get sky but the remote wont work if i then do the same with the tv in the kitchen it works on a shorter cable but if i then use the cable that runs to the bedroom on the kitchen tv it does'nt work the cable is about 9meters long and its rg6 satellite coax any help will be greatly appreciated thanks

logiciel

Hi and welcome to AVF.
Are these direct runs of cable without any wallplates and sockets?

daz01

Standard Member
Hi
Thanks for the reply, yes its a direct run, i thought it may have been the length of the cable but its not as i made a 2m length to try on the tv in the kitchen but that didnt work either but if i use a ready made up cable in the kitchen it works i have no problem getting a picture wichever way i do it, so i dont no if its me not fitting the connectors onto the cable properly although i feel that i have done it as well as it can be done barring soldering them
Thanks

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
...so i dont no if its me not fitting the connectors onto the cable properly ..

I'm afraid it seems so. Does the Eye light up at the end of your made up cable? If not then you are not getting a dc path. Re-make your connectors ensuring that you have no shorts in either connector.

daz01

Standard Member
Hi Steven
No it doesnt, but if i put the 1.5m ready made cable into my sky box then put my magic eye to this it then lights up:confused:
Thanks

daz01

Standard Member
I am I that old?

:laugh:
Hi Neil sorry read your username wrong, i wasnt even looking to see if the light was on, with your help i have now done it:clap: although if the arial is moved or the sky box is moved it knocks the light off on the eye but i can just jiggle it until it stays on. iam actually thinking of getting a spare sky box for the bedroom if i do do i just bring a cable from the sky dish?
Many Thanks
Daz:thumbsup:

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Fixing a,(two), connector,(s), is a lot easier, and cheaper...............

daz01

Standard Member
Thanks once again Neil the info you have provided me as solved my problem the connections are now great although i havent soldered them iam going to buy the things i need to solder the connectors then they should be even better, i would never have got this done without your help cheers. Daz

jaydee242

Standard Member
hi i seem to have sorted most of the problem out, i can now get sky on all tv's the only problem now is i cant change sky channels on other tv's even though i have tv link/magic eyes at each tv can anyone again help thanks

logiciel

The answer is as it was to daz01 - the quality and condition of the cables and of any joins in them.
I'd still be interested in some details of the system, as for example in my post #11.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom