No Room for a center speaker.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Putney, Sep 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Putney

Putney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in a little bit of a tough position. Currently I have a Sony KLV-30MR1 LCD screen in the lounge. I have had this since new and it has served me well over the years. Due to the layout of the lounge I wanted the screen as low as it could go on the wall as I didn't want to have a crook neck from looking up to watch the TV.

Current set up.

[​IMG]

This left no room for a centre speaker. This wasn't a problem as the 30MR1 has a separate AV box which has a 'Centre In Input'. I have connected this and it has worked well over the last few years. The TV is set to 'Centre In' and I am happy with this set up.

Now here is the bigger problem. I have just purchased a Sony a KDL40X3500 which will arrive shortly and upgraded my Sky to HD. When I bought the set I didn't think about my audio problem. I have had a look at the previous X series model and I couldn't see a centre in facility.
    How I am going to get proper 5.1 as there is really no room to mount a centre speaker? I am sure the new X3500 LCD screens don't have a centre in function. I can't be the only one in the country not wanting a centre speaker mounted on my fireplace. How have other people dealt with this issue? Do I just leave the TV audio as stereo? How would this sound?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. My plan was to put the old Sony in my bedroom. I don't really want to put Sky HD and a 40 Inch in my bedroom and there is also no room for surround sound in there.

2. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    For 5.1 setup, the TV's HDMI "may" have an analogue audio input for use with a PC or other DVI device. You could use this combined with a rca or 3.5mm mono adapter. You will probably have to change menu settings to enable analogue audio, on my TV only HDMI1 can accept analogue audio, my HDMI2 only accepts digital audio.

I cannot speak for the fidelity of this approach, within your 5.1 setup. I use "proper" speakers for mine, however I do use my HDMI's analogue audio input to listen to freeview radio (via TV's scart output), whilst browsing internet on the PC (I have Tosh 42X3030D).

3. gmp

gmp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
  4. 499520

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  5. Putney