1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No rear speakers when watching TV in PL2 on denon 3802

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tino D'Voe, Jan 27, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Tino D'Voe

Tino D'Voe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone help me please? With my Denon 3802, when watching TV, there's no sound coming out of the rear speakers in PL2. While watching TV through the VCR however, the sound is fine. DVD's are ok and so are CDs'. Any ideas?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    This symptom is almost certainly as a result of the TV outputing a mono signal. As to why, well....

1) It may not have tuned itself correctly and may not, therefore, be receiving the stereo audio from terrestrial broadcasts

2) It may have something to do with how you have it connected up.

3. Tino D'Voe

Tino D'Voe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure what could be wrong. I have the cable running from the wall into a splitter/signal amplifier and then one line running into the VCR and another into the TV. The left and right TV out goes into the reciever just like the VCR's audio out.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    I didn't spot originally that you are in Canada. Don't know much about the TV systems used in Canada, or the TVs, but I'm still pretty certain that you are feeding your amp with mono. Otherwise you would definitely get some rear channel presence.

Unless you have your denon set to either "stereo" or "direct" when on the TV input. Either of these will only output to the front L&R. Check the front panel display on the denon, when you have the TV input selected.

Otherwise, check out the wiring from the TV to the amp; check out the TV on its own (try listening to a known stereo broadcast using heaphones plugged straight into the TV). If the TV is receiving mono, I don't know what to suggest.