No Rear channel on Freeview

9designs

Standard Member
Reaction score
I’ve just borrowed a Daewoo Freeview box, and I’m somewhat puzzled.

1st I get all the channels, though I’m surprised as the signal strength meter show very low, in the red, on ITV2 channel block, BBC1 block is very strong.

2nd Does Freeview broadcast a surround sound signal ? same as NICAM. As I don’t get any rear channel information, Analogue BBC1 (snooker at present !) has rear channel noise, but not on FV.

Picture quality is not any better than normal analogue, though I’m only connected with the Coax lead at present.

So far a mixed impression.

Thanks
Steve

The signal quality and data quality readings are quite good, so a booster in the loft might be the answer, I had one but it broke.
The aerial is a Ron Smith unit and is very good, though I'm some distance from the transmitter in Subury.

So for a films etc, I would be better off watching analogue as I get NICAM and rear chanel decoding with Prologic !

Booster dont work with digital, put it on RGB and Prologic runs of a stereo source the same but down an RF lead you get only mono so depending where the adio is taken to the amp will effet it use a scart and try it again it is pretty good!!!

So for a films etc, I would be better off watching analogue as I get NICAM and rear chanel decoding with Prologic !

No because DTTV is usually widescreen and PAL ain't

Fortunately I’ve only borrowed it for the night, I’ve now connected the Digi box to the Video with a HQ ProWire Scart lead, it’s normally on the DVD player, the video to the TV with a Scart lead as well.
On BBC 1 the picture difference between the TV’s UHF tuner and the digital signal is minimal, the digital looks slightly smeared ! The UHF is DVD quality!
ITV is slightly better on digital, though the difference would be the same as BBC if my aerial amp was still working.
On fast moving shots, (hands clapping), the digital box pixels breaks up

With the scart connection to the video I am now getting stereo/ProLogic rear channel sounds out of the video audio connections to my Yamaha DSPE800. So success on the sound front….. thanks for the tips, as described, the full audio signal doesn’t come of the RF connection

Not sure I understand or believe the aerial amplifier situation, surely they boost all signals received, including interference, and compensate for down lead losses, by boosting the signal
They are also advertised as being suitable for boosting digital reception signals.

Its a grey area with amps, a true digital amp like what is used on data lines is a Level trigger, pushes the level of the signal back to +/- supply (in general). The amps you see advertised are analogue amps with a set gain not a set level. SO they will help in certain instances, A masted amp can help as can a distribution amp if feeding multiple TV's

Ok, fitted an new booster, a Maxview Digital 4 room unit from B&Q and have seen and increase on the signal readings, analogue is more even now across the range.
The BBC digital channels went from 78 to 90. The ITV group is still low,but improved, a known thing from the Sudbury Transmitter I believe. All works ok. I have very good “SNR” and “data quality” but low signal strength.

Tempted to buy my own decoder now, (Daewoo returned ) Think the Nokia221T would be best, like the idea of the SPDIF output.

Question, the Daewoo use “Setpal” is this more sensitive on low signal strengths than the Nokia? ( See new thread )
Dixons have weekend special of £129 on the Nokia as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom