No PVR Ads 0n TV

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by chriszzzzzz, Jan 1, 2007.

Tags:
  1. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Why do none of the manufacturers advertise their PVR's on TV? Seems to me that Sky have it all their own way here. I hadn't thought about it until a discussion at work showed up the fact that 8 out of 11 of the group knew nothing about PVR's.
    The same is true about set top boxes in general. No advertising.:confused:

2. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Probably a reflection of how much $$$ $ky makes. They can afford saturation advertising.

3. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Sky being a TV company needs to advertise its wares to survive. They don't really advertise their hardware products to any great extent on TV probably because they arn't made by Sky per say.

Out of all the AV manufacturers I can think of.... like Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba they only ever promote their TV's on TV besides Sony with the PS2/PSP. Rarely do you see anything for DVD recorders although Philips comes to mind, MP3 players, CD players etc.

4. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Sky does advertise the benefits of Sky+. Freeview is the emerging digital service that the majority of the country will use at switchover. If its only a minority that know about PVR's then they can hardly be expect volume sales.
    If they began advertising jointly even to make the public aware of the PVR then Sky would loose more potential customers.
    Individual MP3 and CD players sell because people know they exist. It seems to be a different kettle of fish for the PVR. Potential customers don't even know that they exist....

5. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    This, of course, is one of the reasons for the creation of Freeview Playback. By creating a common standard, the idea is that makers will be able to label their kit with the logo, and the concept of Freeview Playback can be jointly promoted, to raise awareness of PVRs.

Originally, it was hoped to advertise around September last year, I think, but things have slipped somewhat.

Nigel.

6. Richard46

Richard46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Lack of advertising of the twin digital tuner HDD recorder has probably been a factor. Actually a year or two ago Panasonic where advertising their top of the range HDD/DVD single tuner recorders quite heavily. e.g. massive hoardings on the London Underground. I dont remember them similarly advertising their twin HDD only model.

I think their are other related factors.

One is that over 25 years familiarity with VCR (more if we include audio tapes) customers (and sales staff) got to associate recording with removable media and saving stuff permanently even if they only watched something once most of the time.
    When the DVD recorder came along the progression was a natural one; especially as most people where by then familiar with the DVD player. It was just not noticed that the DVD recorder is not very suitable for what a lot of people do a lot of the time; i.e. record to watch once when it suits them and overwrite. I would guess a lot of people put up with the inconvenience of DVDR because they are so used to the inconvenience of VCR.
    So having a flashy digital DVD recorder with lots of buttons and the reassuring slot in the front people just do not notice the blank looking PVR.

Most of those who did see the benefits of the HDD recorder unfortunately fell into the clutches of Sky+ which had a complete monopoly of the UK twin tuner market for a crucial and quite long period.
    Even a couple of weeks ago the Observer TV Guide told readers to set the VCR or Sky+ for a programme they where recommending. Sky have almost pulled the same trick with Sky+ that Hoover pulled with the vacuum cleaner; substituted the brand name for the generic term.

All that has worked against the Freeview 'PVR'

Richard

7. Praxidike

Praxidike
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I bet there's not much advertising too because they don't want people skipping through adverts.... the best bit of a PVR for me!

Although I suppose Sky don't hold back on it though, and they'll make plenty from just adverts.... at least they still end up with £10 a month compensation + the box price so I guess it doesn't hurt them as much as ITV or someone.

8. PhillH

PhillH
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There's an idea for a PVR commercial - "Why are you watching this advertisement? Buy an ACME PVR and never watch a commercial again."

9. Bachstrad

Bachstrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

ATB

Max