1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No problems with the new Denon 1910!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paulfoley, Oct 6, 2004.

1. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Demoed today (Phase 3 in Southampton) & was so impressed I bought a silver one for (£215). As well as knocking off £15 they also doubled the guarantee to 24 months & will multiregion it as soon as the firmware disk arrives!

Couldnt see the macroblocking problems on the same scenes that the US Owners mentioned, perhaps us europeans got some different firmware ?

It synchs first time on all DVI formats with my AE500 & its Faroudja Processor is clearly superior to the Pannys. I am using a Belkin Pro 3M Cable available from PC World or online.

Blacks look black & the picture at 720p or 1080i from DVI is very crisp. The only small anomaly is that 4:3 stuff is stretched to 16:9 using these settings. Ideally I woulkd have liked it to detect the 4:3 picture & "pillarbox" the image?

I've saved the best till last though, the awful vertical banding that was clearly visible using Progressive Component & RGB is almost completely eradicated.

Overall highly reccomended ! :thumbsup:

2. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
  3. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2 second layer change? Can this be, in such a modern player? Even my cheapo Yamakawa 365 has a faster layer change (1 second or less).

4. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I second eveything paulfoley has said - I am very happy with this player. Apart from 1 thing - I cannot get the DVI image to fill the screen. See my separate thread :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154329

paul - does your image fill the screen - I get approx 2 inch grey "gap" along the left hand side ?

5. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Yep you are right, there is a very small dark grey border around the whole image, theres a few more pixels on the left hand side. It doesnt really annoy me though as I can move it off of the screen using zoom & position left/right?

I can confirm though that this is the Panny Projector thats causing it & not the Denon as it does exactly the same thing with 1080i with my DTheater Machine.

:D

6. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Zooming/repositioning will mean all your other soucres are too big for the screen though.

I am wondering if this is down to the projector rather than the player, as powering the projector off andback on again causes the problem to reappear aftre being fixed in the Z2 service menu.

As a side issue, I think I saw some first sings of macroblocking last night. In Monsters Inc, where Sully is in the toilet, the toilet doors looked very blocky/"shimmery" where the orange doors merged into shadow.

If I cannot resolve the image size issue this player may be going back to the dealer.

7. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Been thinking about all these little glitches that get reported on here e.g. odd bit of 1910 macroblocking, minute amount of AE500 VB, Stretched 4:3 pictures unless you use 480p, etc & concluded the following :

For £1300 i.e. £1100 for the AE500 & just over £200 for the Denon I am getting an experience not that dissimilar from my local Odeon - I should be rejoicing, we are all very lucky B*st*rds !!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

OK my picture quality isnt quite as good but my sound is as good & unlike the Odeon I dont get chattering kids, people walking in front of the screen, ringing mobiles, bubblegum on the seats, 30 minutes of adverts, snogging teenagers, etc, etc.

PS - Watched Shaun of the dead last night & my layer change was only half a second long - Hooray !

8. mojomanic

mojomanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a 1910 yesterday along with a 4805 pj everything fine so far. Am using dvi at 480p and the image is out of this world. Watched lotr 1 & 2 last night and didnt even notice the layer change. No more Odeon for me!!

9. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Enough with all this 'macroblocking' and 'half second layer change' lets get down to the nitty gritty - does it actually play a film from start to finish without stopping, freezing, skipping, pausing etc etc as MY 2900 didn't... :mad: I put this very high on my list of things I expect from a DVD player.....!!!! Have you tried the Criterion edition of Armageddon, Star Wars (IV-VI), Kill Bill 1, LOTR extended edition's in DTS, Alien (directors cut) in DTS just for starters...and i mean the ENTIRE film including the credits...??
    Cheers.... ;)

10. mojomanic

mojomanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only watched the 2 lotr films I mentioned upto now both played all the way through without a hitch. Beautiful colours and contrast spot on and I havn't even begun to calibrate dvd or pj yet. It can only get better!

11. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I'm glad you're enjoying your new player. It was nice of Phase 3 to offer a discount on a brand new product but I'm afraid to say they did not extend your guarantee to 24 months as that is the standard warranty on all Denon products. Not wanting to stomp on anybody but just thought I should point that out.