1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No Pro Logic on new VCR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by davidg3, Feb 9, 2002.

Tags:
  1. davidg3

davidg3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone here had experience of this happening before. I have just bought a new Nicam Stero Proline VN2000 video from Comet, expecting to be able to record and play pro-logic sound on it.

After connecting the video (Scart cables between all devices) I tried changing Sky to a movie channel with pro-logic sound. When playing this direct from the Sky box, I got full sound from the rear speakers (pro logic decoder in my Panasonic TV). When watching the same channel through the video, though, there was no sound from these speakers.

The only thing that I can think that would be causing this is that, according to the manual (also for the VR515) I should be able to change the audio output using the A.Sel button which it says is for Hi-Fi models only. This lead me to believe that there was something about my model which did not support Pro-Logic but the review here seems to say that Pro-Logic should be available.

Have I made a mistake and bought the wrong video or would this be a problem with my setup (or faulty equipment)? As far as I can tell from looking on Google Groups, I should be able to record/play pro logic from any Nicam video recorder.

Thanks in advance.

David

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Pretty much the only way of stripping rear-channel presence off a ProLogic signal is to make it into Mono.

So, I guess you are replaying your sound in Mono.

All HifiStereo VCRs will record two soundtracks on the tape; a hi-fi stereo one, and a much lower-fi mono one. The latter is for compatibility with older and/or cheaper machines.

To replay the Hifi soundtrack on your HiFi VCR - you may need to select it. You'll have to read the manual for this. Its usually a remote button which cycles between some or all of....

HiFi Stereo - HiFi Left - HiFi Right - LowFi Mono - Hifi&LowFi Mixed

You need to be on Hifi Stereo.

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How is the digibox connected to the video?

4. davidg3

davidg3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

The video is connected to the digibox (and the TV) by Scart connection.

It sound like the hi-fi option appears to be the problem. There is an A.Sel button which (according to the manual) gives a choice between Hi-Fi L+R, Hi-Fi Left, Hi-Fi Right and Hi-Fi Off. The manual says 'If this screen does not appear when you press the A.SEL button, this function is not available on your video' and, as I can't get this menu, I assume I don't have a hi-fi version.

There are two tings I think are strange about this:
    1. The manual is for the VR515 and the VN2000. I have the VN2000. It seems strange that this would be the 'inferior' model, having a higher number.
    2. Why are Nicam Stereo VCRs sold that don't output stereo, or is the lack of the menu a fault with the video?

Thanks again

David

5. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    How new is the VCR? Sounds like you've been sold a turkey m8.

I didn't know they were still making mono vcr as you can pick up a very good stereo one for under £100 now. I got an Awia one last year for £96 and it sounds okay (not that I use it too often).

Find out if the model you have should be stereo, if it's just mono then get shot of it.