No power to Panasonic SA-BTT350 DVD Home Theatre player

Zinky

Novice Member
Can anyone help with sparking circuit board on power supply to my DVD please?
In the screenshot from a video, there is a spark emanating between the large black capacitor and the left hand coil component. However, there is no visible short or damage to either component. I keep changing the internal fuse, cleaning the board and trying but same firework display!

Any guidance would be very greatly appreciated please.

Many thanks.

Screenshot_2021-08-14-22-25-12-252_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Gavtech

Administrator
Welcome to the forum.

Can you explain further.

You say you have cleaned the board. Have you actually had the board out and examined the copper side?

What this suggests is that there has been a dry joint which has further eroded due to arcing.
In such circumstances the component responsible should be removed and the leads thoroughly cleaned up and re-tinned. Similarly the matching points on the PCB board.

Irrespective of how it measures, I would replace the capacitor,

Last edited:

Zinky

Novice Member
Hi,

I haven't removed the board yet and have only vacuumed it. This is now 10 years old and accumulated quite a bit of dust. As I couldn't see any obvious reason for the arcing I'll do as you suggest and see what results. May take a few days to get round to it and get a replacement capacitor from Amazon.

I really appreciate your assistance as I feel it will be a relatively simple fix and don't want to pay for a professional repair or ultimately a new DVD.

Many thanks.

Gavtech

Administrator
Good luck - Get some pictures of the damaged area when you get the board out.

Zinky

Novice Member
Hi,

Replaced the capacitor even though it looked fine and the connections on the reverse of the PCB were also good.
Crossed fingers, turned it on and it came back to life again!
Can't thank you enough you advising to change the capacitor. For £2.50, it saved me replacing the whole unit as I thought I needed to.
Brilliant result.
Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom