1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No power to amps

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by teknikz, Jun 14, 2005.

1. teknikz

teknikz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya

just installed an 800 watt amp running 2 subs. i got a wire from my battery with a fuse on it running to the amp. then a phono lead runnin from the radio to the amp connected to the rear speakers terminals on the amp. then an earth wire running from the amp to the car body. the speaker wires from the subs to the amp. and 2 fuses at 25 amps which are intact.

but i got no bloody power!!!!!

can any1 tell me why? :lease:

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    Have you got a 12v switched running to the amp as well, so it turns on/off with the ignition?

3. khalilk

khalilk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

i think you forgot to connect a remote lead from the back of you head unit to the Amp .... so that when you turn the head unit on that remote lead feeds a signal to the amp ....

REMOTE LEAD ! if you do not have one on the back of the stereo marked specificaly for as AMP REMOTE or somfink like that .. then you may have a REMOVET Areial ..if you do not have that either then you may need to run another lead from the batter or elsewhere straight to your amp with a on off switch need the driver position !

hope this helps .. KK

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    As already stated you need to signal the amp to switch on, just having a supply to the amp won't power it up.
    As a temp measure to test it you can run a length of wire from the 'REM' terminal and bridge it onto the power cable (i.e. in parallel), don't leave this without a switch or disconnect it or you will have a discharged battery in the morning.

5. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577

buy a 12v test meter or bulb tester.

FIRST TEST
    Run one side of tester to + cable ( red) other to - (black) do you have voltage?/light/reading?

Switch headunit on and do the same again BUT THIS TIME RUN the red cable on the REM+ (the cable you connect to the back of the headunit to the rem+ or electrical arieal connection) this should not light up. Should light up

please update your post and i will continue with the step by step.
    amp side of car.