No Play on DVD-2900

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ahin4114, Nov 1, 2004.

1. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi all,

First post to these forums, pity it's not on a happier note, ho hum.

I'm the (proud?) owner of a Denon DVD-2900, which I've had for 6months. And I have to say that it's been bulletproof up until now. When I bought the player I had the Multi-region firmware upgrade applied and everything's been fine, until now. Received through the post an official Region 2 copy of the two-disc edition of Day After Tomorrow, however when I go to play the disc I simply get a "No Play" message on the machines display. The disc play's fine on my PC and an older Toshiba DVD player, but no joy on the Denon.

A friend of mine has also tried the disc on his 2900 to no avail :(

I sent an email to Denon over a week ago, no reply. My local dealer has also tried to contact them regarding the issue but have not had any response from them. Has anybody out there tried this combination successfully, if so what firmware revision are they running. It would be nice to know that it does work even if an update is required.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

2. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    ahin4114,

Interesting, what is the firmware that you have at the moment?

I can't realy comment at the moment as my 2900 has been at Denon for a month now 'being fixed' hopefully.

Had issues with the 'NO PLAY' with SCAD discs that I thought was the firmware but it turns out that it was the laser carrige/pick-up assembly.
    The second 2900 to suffer from this fault that I have had :mad:

I do have access to the disc so I will give it a go when I finally get the unit back.

Hopefully someone else here has a copy of the disc and can do a test check to see what results they get. Or have possibly already done but have not posted.

Let us know how you get on + if denon reply to your email. From experience you will probably get more results from Denon if you call them and ask for customer support.

eatstatic.

3. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks eatstatic,

I've heard from another user with a 2900 that he's had this disc playing without fault, so there may be light at the end of the tunnel. I'm going to check my firmware revision tonight.

Have had a reply from Denon (second attempt got their attention). They've kindly offered to reset my player to region 2 only, with no guarantee that this will resolve the issue. They haven't replied to let me know what the latest UK firmware revision is, so even when I do find out tonight what I'm running I have no value for comparision.

Hopefully Russell Piper on the DVD Talk forum will shed some light on this.

If you could let me know how it works for you when you get your deck back I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Tony

4. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My advice is to get rid before the 12 months is up...just got a full refund on mine after 9 months of hassle.... :thumbsup: ....believe me they are fully aware of the issues with the 2900. Some work fine and if it does it is a phenomenal piece of kit, unfortunately mine - like many many others - didn't...!!!!
    I could give you a list of disks to try but in my opinion just getting a list of disks a £800 player won't play isn't much use. I want total confidence in all disks for that kind of money.
    Good luck.

5. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    andy_pandy,

To be honest If I was paying £100 I would still expect the player to play everything.

But due to circumstance I am pretty much stuck with my player as it is (17months down the line). And I have to say it is a love hate relationship, much like the old can't live with it can't live without.

ahin4114,

Should be recieving my player back during tomorrow at some point so will check 'day after tomorrow' disc at first oppertunity. This may be a while as I will be away for the weekend.

What is the unit displaying for the firmare at the moment?

Mine was:-

DRV 030827
    B/E 6237W
    PANEL 0043-F

Will check what the unit display's when I get it back to see if there has been any alteration made.

eatstatic.

6. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    eatstatic,

My player is reporting the following firmware data:

DRV 030827
    B/E 6237U
    PANEL 0043-f

Not sure what the significance of the U is as opposed to a W, but I'll sure be interested to see how you get along.

Thanks again.

Tony

7. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This was very very optimistic action :)

Apart from that I'd try to bring player back to original RC2 and see what hapens.
    Original file to reset it to RC2 must be available somewhere in internet.

8. JET

JET
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having owned a Pioneer 737 multi region which played everything it was asked to, I decided to have a change and try a Denon 2800 Mk II, which froze on most discs and went back to Denon for 3/4 weeks to be fixed. Denon could not find a problem with it but when it came back exactly the same thing happened. The dealer said he would change it for me and I auditioned Arcam and the Denon 2900. Like an idiot I chose the Denon; it worked fine for about 3 weeks and then froze on most discs again.

I rang the dealer, he agreed to swop again and by that time he had the Pioneer 868 AVI in stock. I have now owned this machine for around 6 months and it has not failed on any disc. It gives outstanding picture quality.

I have also had trouble with Arcam - but that is another story!

Moral of the tale - stick to Pioneer!

John T

9. OxfordDon

OxfordDon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Denon DVD players are garbage. They may be the best there is when they work, but they sooner or later don't work. I had a Denon 3800 for around a year, a fantastic player at first, but the longer I owned it, the worse it got. Started with freeze and locking problems, and progressed to sound drop outs on top. Sent it back to Denon eventually (via Sevenoaks) when I realised I hadn't played a DVD for months because I just couldn't take the uncertainty (ie would it be lock ups or sound drop outs).

Finally after waiting for over 2 months, Denon finally admitted to Sevenoaks (unofficially of course, they will deny this if you ask them) that the 3800 problems can't be fixed. So, they sent me a new 2900, (I know, it's something of a downgrade, but by this time I was desperate) and can you believe this, the fourth disc I tried in it (Star Wars A New Hope) had the sound drop out halfway through.

You can imagine what I think of Denon after all this. What is even worse, Gordon came over to recalibrate my screen now I have the new DVD player, and chances are, I'll have to throw it away, cut my losses and get something that actually works.

From my experience, bottom line is DON'T TOUCH DENON DVD PLAYERS WITH SOMEBODY ELSES BARGEPOLE :mad:

10. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit strong ......i own the 2200 and have had many denon players with no problem seems there may be a problem with the 3800 model

so in my opinion they are not Garbage

satisfied denon owner....

11. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't agree more.....well said that man. The amount of times I see on here "should i go for the Denon this or Denon that..." NO NO NO...listen to people who have been misled by Denon and buy something that actually plays DVD's...isn't that why you bought it in the first place...??? I will soon be posting the confidential note from Denon I got by mistake admitting they know all about their rubbish but are trying to keep it quiet....watch this space.

12. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 2200 never let me down.....

so do buy a Denon YES YES YES.....

Satisfied Denon owner :clap:

13. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Perhaps we should just start a new thread for slating Denon and send their tech support guys a link. Otherwise anybody actually interested in the no play message the thread is about is going to have to read through pages of Denon bashing before they actually find an answer (fingers crossed).
    There's more than enough disgruntled posts on this forum for anyone trying to decide whether to get a Denon player or not. Sufficed to say when I replace my deck, I'll go elsewhere, in the meantime, let's see if it can be fixed.

Tony

14. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you started off quite positive in your message about slagging denon off and lets stop etc....but still had to get a dig in at the end with "suffice to say when i replace i will go elswhere"...

Is there no end to the barrage you are giving Denon ?? in my opinion they are great..and personaly after the barracking you are giving them are you not suprised you are getting no help "suffice to say it seems everyone has gone elsewhere"...

satisfied Denon owner. :thumbsup:

15. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I hardly think 'barrage' is accurate. Elsewhere in this forum I still recommend the 2900 to people, and as my original post states, the deck has been bulletproof (quite complimentary don't you think).
    There are already people on this thread that have not gone elsewhere, and are offering real help. Others it seems are taking the opportunity to slate Denon, which I feel is irrelevant. My point was more of the former, and less of the latter if you please.

As for saying I will go elsewhere, I feel that I'm entirely justified. I came to this forum to ask for advice, and the advice I have been given is to go elsewhere when the opportunity arises. If I find a solution to my problem, then I'll keep the deck (thumbs up to Denon once more), otherwise it's rather an expensive ornament don't you think?

My point is that I'm less likely to find a solution if everybody is put off by a flame war against Denon.

Your comments are noted, but I feel you are as much an offender as those my post was aimed at.

previously satisfied Denon owner.

16. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Love Denonove DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love I Love DenonI Love I Love Denonove DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love I Love DenonI Love I Love Denonove DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI LI Love Denonove DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love I Love DenonI Love ove DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love I Love DenonI Love I Love Denonove DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love DenonI Love I Love DenonI Love :hiya:

17. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    <flame>Mature, heaven forbid your player ever breaks.</flame>

18. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well..............I am :mad:

It is almost 6 and I was promissed delivery of my supposidly fixed 2900 by no later than 5:50pm today!!

So........deap breath........ahin4114 I can not do any checking for you as yet.

eatstatic.

19. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Oh dear... well let's hope the supposedly turns out to be true, then it will be worth the wait ;)

In the meantime, Denon have responded to me confirming that they will be checking this disc against the 2900 to find a combination that works, and then letting me know.
    Progress :) I'll post any result here.

Enjoy your weekend.

Tony

20. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Tony,

I have a 2200 (MR) and an R2 version of the DAT dvd (single disc version). It plays without problems. As I also live in Reading, you're welcome to come round and try your disc in my machine and try mine in yours. PM me if you're interested.

Steve

21. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I have a 2900 that plays the 2-disc DAT R2 film perfectly - no issues at all. It's a multi-region machine but I don't know the firmware - how can I find out?

22. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Magic Radiohead, here's how:

Turn off the 2900 (using the power switch - not standby)
    Hold Down the Play and Open/Close buttons on the Deck
    Power on (power switch again)
    You should see the play and pause symbols in the display along with 'Loading'
    Now press menu on the remote control to cycle through the firmware settings

Once you're done, I hard power off and on again.

My settings again are:

DRV 030827
    B/E 6237U
    PANEL 0043-f

Tony

23. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Ta for that - I'll check later and post my results

:)

24. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I've checked mine and they're very slight difference to yours:

DRV 030827
    B/E 6237S
    PANEL 0043-f

25. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks Radiohead, I'll forward this on to Denon and see what they make of it.

Does anyone have the multi-regioning disc to take me to this firmware revision?

Tony

26. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    ahin4114,

Just to confirm (sorry had ment to post earlier).

Tried region 2 version of T.D.A.T and the disc loaded/played with no problems at all.

eatstatic.