1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No plans for larger Panasonic

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I had by sheer chance a meeting today through a work contact with someone who works for Panasonic. We got talking about LCD and Plasma panels etc. and in particular the new 32” 500 series LCD. I said to this chap that I thought the new LCDs were very good but for me 32” was not gaining me that much in screen size over my present CRT so when were Panasonic going to release a 37” model. The answer in a nutshell is that Panasonic have definitely got no short to medium term plans for going beyond 32” with LCD. He said the company philosophy is that once beyond 32” their Viera range of Plasma panels neatly fulfils that role, starting with the 37” PE500 Viera. I did say that their sister company JVC had a 37” LCD, and he replied that JVC do not have Panasonics range of top quality Plasma’s. So for what it’s worth, there you have it.

2. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    And if you spoke to a JVC employee, he'd have said that Pansonic don't have access to.............
    So, bottom line, his statement is worthless other than to validate what most of us already know - Panasonic 37" flat TVs are Plasma based and will continue to be so.
    More profit in smaller Plasmas than larger LCDs perhaps?

3. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +568
    I would guess there is more profit in smaller Plasma's as the technology is more established so costs must be lower...

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I'm pretty sure that Plasmas costs are quite a bit higher, which is why several manufacturers are going away from them.

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Faust my good friend.....did you have your fingers crossed behind your back when you said that??? :D

I didn't expect them to manufacture a 37" model unfortunately, much as I would like one.

The 32" 500 seems to be the flavour of the month at the moment so is top of the shopping list, but now I'm thinking I may be able to squeeze a 37" in the room my choices seem more limited.

So are you defo going for LCD now?

6. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi there Scrapbook, to be honest the more I see the worse it gets. I have just been in Comet for my tea, well not actually for my tea, but err indoors was doing the Supermarket shop so I slipped into Comet. Not sure that it was a good idea though as they had just set up the new Sony HD Ready LCD panels, and wow oh wow oh wow do they just look the business, especially the V series. This LCD really looks the part in black and silver with a nice thin bezel, and as for PQ. Sitting right next to the Sony was a Philips 9986 Ambilight running off the same feed, and to be quite honest the Philips might as well have been sporting a Goodmans logo. The picture from the Sony needs to be seen to be believed, it will blow your socks off. Moving down the line was the 32" JVC and the 32" Panny, which were both excellent. Next came the 37" Viera Plasma, and you really would have to be picky in the extreme to fault the PQ on this particular Plasma panel. So scrapbook to answer your question - I seem as far away as ever at making a decision, it really isn't fair. I do feel for those that couldn't wait though and bought into this technology much earlier, as the choice and quality now is mind boggling.

7. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I'm glad I'm not the only one ot sneek into the TV shop whilst the Mrs does the weekly shop! :D

What were they showing on the sony then? A hidef picture or just the normal aerial/dvd feed??

I agree that the Sony 'V' series is one sexy looking TV, I think I need a PC input though which is the most annoying aspect for me.

WHere do you live? Would love to see a Sony in real life!!

8. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It was receiving a Sky feed, as was the Philips, but whereas you could see some motion blur on the 9986 the Sony was rock solid. Midlands, though I believe most Comet stores now have them in stock. If you look at one though I'm afraid it will be like looking into the eyes of Dracula - you will be lost to any other model, save for the Viera Plasma. I daren't take my plastic with me anymore as I have a real fear that I may weaken on one of these visits. I have this vision of myself loading up the car with this great piece of cardboard packaging then I break out into a sweat.

9. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Espically when you see a 40" version hey?? It can't be much bigger than the 37" Panny plasma when you take into account the width of the frame on the Panny

Edit
    :eek: The 40" Sony has 2cm less width then the 37" Panny!

Time to get the cardboard templates out again :D

10. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,018
    just choose one that you think has great picture quality.

and then for goodness sake stop reading this forum and going into Comet for the next six months!

11. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    LCD's are fast reaching the point where they have all got good picture quality, though only a few can claim to be great. Anyway if we stopped going into Comet and reading this forum what else would we do with our time?

:D

12. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Popped into my local Dixons this avo, and what did I see? (apart from the store having been rearanged yet again) - LG's 60" Plasma running a demo feed of HD material (which for the life of me, I can't recall what it was) via a mini PC.
    VGA-Component in, DVD with IXOS SCART (which I don't believe was the feed, he says hopefully, to save face), but whatever it was being fed even from 10 ft away, the picture was absolutely "I want, I want".
    I can't afford though - £7999 JUST a teensy weensy bit too much for my blood (and kidneys, and right arm, and.....well, you get the picture).

Right, so who's up for a zero deposit, zero repayment, never ending loan of £7991.36 to be wired directly to my bank account?
    Come on, surely someone has that in change from down the back of the sofa and them penny bottles? :laugh: