No picture when tv is on standbye

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by TEAL, Feb 2, 2009.

1. TEAL

TEAL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi ,i am a new member to this Forum. Been having a nightmare setting up our new DVD recorder.At first on playback got picture in B/W next no sound and finally today after swapping scarts around can record and play ok except that when recording if i turn tv off to standbye i will get no picture at that point.So,have Panosonic dvd DMR-EZ28EB plus Sky+ box plus basic tv at moment which has two scart connections.My scart connections where as follows.
    Sky box vcr ---av2 on dvd, Sky box tv--- tv ext1,dvd av1tv--tv ext2, but all i got was sound no picture. Then i done Sky box vcr scart to the dvd vcr(tv)connection and this has made recording possible but as said no picture when on standbye.Would be grateful for some help, thanks.:lease:

2. ows90

ows90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    This is because you have the wrong input on the DVD recorder selected (you have "A1"), this means that the DVD recorder is recording FROM the TV. Therefore, when it goes into standby the Sky+ signal no longer gets routed from ext1 to ext2.

What you want to do is record DIRECTLY from the Sky+ box, taking the TV out of the equation. Connect:

Sky+ (TV SCART) --> DVD recorder (AV2)
    DVD recorder (AV1) --> TV (ext1)

Access the Sky+ picture settings menu (SERVICES > System Setup (4) > Picture Settings (1)) and set:
    Scart Control: ON
    Picture Format: 16:9 (if your TV is widescreen)
    Video Output: RGB
    Then select "Save settings"

Then access the DVD recorder menu:
    Press [FUNCTION MENU]
    Select "To Others" > "Setup" > "Others"
    and set `Power Save' to Off

Then, when the DVD recorder is in standby, the Sky+ signal is sent through it to the TV as normal. When you want to record, you switch it on, and press the button on the DVD recorder remote labelled "INPUT SELECT" repeatedly until "A2" appears on the display. You'll then be able to press record (or set a timer recording with "AV2" as the source) on the DVD recorder and record whatever channel the Sky+ is tuned to.

Getting "sound but no picture" is indicative of either a poor SCART lead or that it hasn't been pushed in all the way. Not the connection layout.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  3. TEAL

TEAL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Much obliged ows90, will do as said soon as her indoors gets off tv.
    Will let you know outcome.

4. TEAL

TEAL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To ows90, thanks mate your method worked , i was getting confused by the Sky, Panosonic illustrations on connections as these differed to each other.Now we have it working correct would you be able to answer about connecting a VHS to the circuit you have told me.The VHS is an ORION D 4040with one scart connection marked TV (prise perital) and aeril in and aerial out to the TV. We have some vhs tapes of the kids we would like to put on dvd.
    Many thanks:lease:

5. ows90

ows90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Connect the SCART output from the VCR to the Sky+ VCR SCART. When you press play on the video it will take priority over the Sky+ -- it will be as if it's directly connected to the DVD recorder AV2. Then, with "A2" selected, just press record.

You don't need to connect the aerial to it unless you intend to record analogue.

NOTE: the DVD recorder will need to be in standby if you intend to play commercial VHS tapes, otherwise you'll have to connect the VCR to the TV's spare second SCART to watch them.