No picture when scart used???

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by MrTox, Oct 26, 2004.

1. MrTox

MrTox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a TV that is relatively old (10 ish y/o) and it has the usual 1x coaxial and 1x scart connector. The TV works fine using coaxial and works fine using scart to connect a DVD player. However, when both leads are plugged in the AV channel comes on fine when the DVD is turned on but there is only sound when using the normal channels (i.e. the coaxial input when the DVD is turned off). As soon as the scart is removed from either the TV or the DVD the picture appears.

Are there changes to the scart lead pin configuration that is causing this problem or is there an easy(ish) way to overcome the problem?

Although I am a computer engineer I don't have any knowledge of scart leads so technical is fine so long as it is fully explained!

Thanks in advance for your help

John

2. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Mr Tox - Assuming that you are turning the DVD player off rather than just stopping it, then the TV is being triggered by the SCART switching input, but not reverting to 'normal' when it is lost. You should be able to use the TV remote to switch back from the A/V input?

If you can open the connectors on your SCART lead, you could try snipping the wire to pin 8. You can then manually switch to the A/V input to watch DVD and back to 'normal' for TV.

The SCART pinout can be found here-
    http://www.js-technology.com/technical/scartconnector.pdf

3. MrTox

MrTox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately the TV remote doesn't help. The TV switches back to normal stations BUT with no picture (black screen).....only the sound can be heard.

I'll wait for your response before I go and snip anything just in case it is another problem.

Thanks

4. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    I had a similar problem with a TV a few years back (although it was possible to force it back using the remote).

You've nothing to loose by disconnecting pin 8 (just make sure that you've identified the right pin), and switching the set to A/V input manually.

If you don't want to open the connector, you might be able to fold a small piece of insulating tape over the plug's connector 'blade'. Probably difficult to get it to stay in place though.