1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no picture when recording VHS to DVDR

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lordnoize, Aug 8, 2005.

1. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a panasonic dvdrecorder with built in hard drive and a sony videoplayer

I was trying to put a home made vhs on to dvd, I hooked up the video player into the dvdr via scart, pressed ext link and play on the video and i thought it was recording as the video was on the tv!

when i played the dvd back though, it was just sound and no picture! any ideas?

the video player has the composite connections aswell

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Assuming that you are using a fully wired (all 21 pins) scart lead and have connected your lead from the Sony output scart to the AV2 scart of the Panasonic and selected
    A2 as your recording source on the Panasonic then there is no reason why it should not record both sound and video. Perhaps your scart lead is making a bad connection.

3. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    If I recorded from my Sony VCR to the Panasonic E85 recorder I would just connect a scart lead from the AV1 socket on the Sony to the AV2 socket of the Panasonic E85. (the AV1 socket of the Panaonic is connected via scart lead to the TV). Would select
    Panasonic input as "A2" which would allow me to watch the VCR output on the TV when
    the "PLAY" button was pressed on the Sony. All that is needed then to record to DVD-R to press "RECORD" on the Panasonic. Hope this explains it a little better.

4. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the help, will try rob my bro's gold scart when I get in!

what I don't understand is why was the picture and sound showing on the telly yet only the sound got recorded...

the video would have to go through the DVDR to show up on the telly right..?

5. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1. Did you connect the VCR to the DVD's scart that you would use for an external tuner, usually L1/AV2?

2. If the VCR was also hooked up to the TV then you may have been watching it through that link. Did you check on the TV-AV that the DVD is connected to? Otherwise the VCR was probably passing through the passes through the DVD/HDD to the TV, and not coming from the recording process.

3. Ext Link is designed to start the recorder when it gets a signal from an external device like a Freeview tuner using scart Pin 8 at a certain voltage. Maybe the VCR isn't equipped to do this.
    Just set the DVD to record from the AV to which you coneected the VCR, start the VCR and then press record on the DVD/HDD.

4. Make sure the DVD-AV the VCR is connected to is set the same video system as the VCR - usually Composite (PAL) unless you hav an s-VHS VCR, then you can use s-video.

6. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1- yes I did

2- no, vcr was just plugged into dvdr

3- when i pressed ext link, it waited for me to press play on the video and that triggered the dvdr recording

4- maybe the dvdr was set to receive RGB signals from that input... I will try the scart then s-video when i get in

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    s-video won't work unless you have an s-VHS VCR.

8. lordnoize

lordnoize
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do have a s-vhs vcr :)
    haven't tried s video yet

9. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    In that case if the recorder was set to RGB the chances of any video are slim. If it was set to composite you could get an unstable streaky picture.
    Check your VCR instructions for any relevant settings to get s-video from its scarts.