Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

No picture on Nec 42vr5

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Papabear1000, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Papabear1000

Papabear1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Hopefylly this is the right place to post this. I have just bought the Nec 42vr5 and the Denon 1910. Yesterday I got a dvi cable from Realcables. This is a 18 pins cable. Whatever I do I cant get a picture. It says in the Denon manual that I need a 24-pins dvi cable. A couple of dealers I've been talking to says that this has nothing to do with it, but they cant explain to me whats wrong. It also say in the Nec manual that the plasma is hdcp compatable. Do I need the 24-pins cable and whats the difference between this and the 18-pins? Please help!!!!

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have you turned on DVI on the front panel?
    Have you tried the different settings 480p, 720p and 1080i?

3. Papabear1000

Papabear1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I've tried the different settings, but what do you mean by setting it on dvi on the front panel?

4. d3ll

d3ll
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on the front of the denon 1910 there is a little button roughly under the eject button marked dvi. press it and it enables the dvi option. the more times you press it, the more res options you get (576,720 etc...)
    hope this helps

5. Papabear1000

Papabear1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehehe I cant believe this. Didnt see that button.... Thank you so much!! You saved my day!!

6. d3ll

d3ll
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    np, enjoy dvd via dvi!

7. lawrenso

lawrenso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi PapaBear1000,

can you please supply some feedback on what the quality of the VR5 is like once you have finished enjoying yourself!!!

Cheers

Lawrenso

8. Papabear1000

Papabear1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit, I haven't tested that many screens, just the ordinary walking about in the shop. But this is really brilliant!!! I can honestly say that its absolutely superb!! Before I figured out my dvi problem I ran the signal through goldplated component cables and I'm really happy that I actually can see a difference from the component to the dvi. A friend of mine is getting the LG's 42" flagship and I'm soo looking forward to test my 1910 on that one to see any difference. I bet I won't!! :)

9. Papabear1000

Papabear1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I was scanning through the different modes i suddenly became uncertain. The plasma got 540p, 1080i and 1035i. The Denon has 480p, 720p and 1080i. Should I put both on 1080? I read somewhere that progressive is better then interlaced, but can the 540 go with the 720? I'm really new to this, so I might be way off here! Please bare with me!!

10. Mojito

Mojito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would set your player to 480p as it is the closest to the screen's native resolution. I believe 480p setting is for NTSC (R1) disks. For PAL disks the player should ouput 576p. You can check by going into menu of the plasma and selection siganl information while playing the disk.
    You don't have to set anything on the plasma as it automatically converts any incoming signal to 480p.

11. Papabear1000

Papabear1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried what you said, but it didnt work. When I put the DVD to 480p I got a horrible picture with lines all over the screen. I checked the plasma menu and it haden't changed. It was still on 540p. I changed the DVD to 720p and the picture got perfect (plasma still 540p). I then tried to change both of them to 1080i but I couldn't see a difference. Is there a big difference? Is the difference bigger in motion like pictures (sport)?

12. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You have more lines so it is better for larger displays but it won't be a progreesive image.
    I would use 1080i to give the best picture with the settings on your TV.