No picture on my Sony KDFE42A12U

emjaygee

Standard Member
Reaction score
It's a simple problem really, I have sound but no picture on my Sony KDFE42A12U (all cables are properly connected!) is this a lamp problem, or is there something more technically wrong with it, and more to the point, is it something I can likely fix myself?! I hate having to wait for engineers!

Its probably the lamp. Dig out your user manual or look online for one and follow the instructions for removing the bulb. Once you have removed the bulb you will instantly know if this is the culprit. :)

Thanks, razor, but I think I've discovered what the problem is ... a smashed mirror! There are shards nearby.

Are these easy to replace?

Thanks, razor, but I think I've discovered what the problem is ... a smashed mirror! There are shards nearby.

Are these easy to replace?

Ouch. The mirrors used in rear pros are special as they have a very thin piece of glass in front of the silver backing to reduce light distortion. I doubt it will be a cheap replacement. Maybe you could claim on your house hold insurance and buy a new display. Use this as a chance to get a HD display. Good luck :)

It's still under its 12 month guarantee. Do you reckon this sort of damage is covered?

It's still under its 12 month guarantee. Do you reckon this sort of damage is covered?

Worth a try mate, I cant see how the rear mirror has shattered. :confused: It would need to be hit from the rear pretty hard. Worth a try. If not then try the insurance route.

Let us know how you get on. :)

Guarantees don't cover accidental damage - an extended warranty might. Your household insurance might.

Well, I'm rather embarrassed 'cos I think I may have been stung by an on-line retailer.

The TV was delivered today. At first, I wasn't really aware of the set-up because this is my first RP TV. You know what it's like. Felt like a kid at Christmas! Anyway, when I'd connected all the cables I wondered why there was sound but no picture, then on closer inspection saw what at first looked like condensation on the inside of the screen, and then I started to investigate further and realised the friggin' mirror was smashed! (see picture) I can say hand on heart it definitely wasn't me who smashed it because my brother and I lifted it gently out the box like it was a delicate ticking time-bomb!

So it was either done in transit or sent as it was by the retailer.

To say I'm frustrated is an understatement!

I'm awaiting a reply from the retailer but nothing so far. I read a report on them today, and a few customers don't speak highly of them!

Not sure what my next move is!?:confused:

Attachments

• GisbourneSonyTV2.jpg
    GisbourneSonyTV2.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 77
Well, I'm rather embarrassed 'cos I think I may have been stung by an on-line retailer.

The TV was delivered today. At first, I wasn't really aware of the set-up because this is my first RP TV. You know what it's like. Felt like a kid at Christmas! Anyway, when I'd connected all the cables I wondered why there was sound but no picture, then on closer inspection saw what at first looked like condensation on the inside of the screen, and then I started to investigate further and realised the friggin' mirror was smashed! (see picture) I can say hand on heart it definitely wasn't me who smashed it because my brother and I lifted it gently out the box like it was a delicate ticking time-bomb!

So it was either done in transit or sent as it was by the retailer.

To say I'm frustrated is an understatement!

I'm awaiting a reply from the retailer but nothing so far. I read a report on them today, and a few customers don't speak highly of them!

Not sure what my next move is!?:confused:

You have 7 days to reject this by law. Long distance selling act.

I would also contact your credit card company/bank and inform them of your dispute. There is no way you can accpet brand new goods like this. :thumbsdow

You really have to go some way to smashing the rear mirror in a rear pro display. I have owned a few of them over the years.

By the way who was the retailer?

They can't be that cheap, as they want £4,078 for Sony KDS70R2000 :eek:
That's almost twice DD's £2,200 price.

Name says it all really ...

www.cheaptelly.co.uk

... but when you have your heart set on something.

That is a really high price for a discontinued Standard Definition rear pro. You can buy a new discontinued HD 720p 46" DLP rear pro for around £400 and a 56" HD DLP for around £650 (have a look on ebay, search for DLP). I have seen this set before as a friend of mine had one and it does have a good picture however it cant compete with a DLP HD rear pro as its only standard def.

If it was me I would request a refund and look else where. If you need help with choosing a new display then feel free to ask in this thread. I am sure there will be plenty of offers of help.

That is a really high price for a discontinued Standard Definition rear pro. You can buy a new discontinued HD 720p 46" DLP rear pro for around £400 and a 56" HD DLP for around £650 (have a look on ebay, search for DLP). I have seen this set before as a friend of mine had one and it does have a good picture however it cant compete with a DLP HD rear pro as its only standard def.

If it was me I would request a refund and look else where. If you need help with choosing a new display then feel free to ask in this thread. I am sure there will be plenty of offers of help.

I'm going to try getting my money back but I've had no reply to my email yet, and there doesn't appear to be a customer service phone number. I have a bad bad feeling about this. :(

I really do want rear projection, but the damage to the mirror in this one has dented my confidence somewhat, not to mention the apparent unavailability of the after sales service I'm getting with this particular company. Those models you mentioned are still tempting though!

For now though, I'm back to my 14" portable! :mad:

I'm going to try getting my money back but I've had no reply to my email yet, and there doesn't appear to be a customer service phone number. I have a bad bad feeling about this. :(

I really do want rear projection, but the damage to the mirror in this one has dented my confidence somewhat, not to mention the apparent unavailability of the after sales service I'm getting with this particular company. Those models you mentioned are still tempting though!

For now though, I'm back to my 14" portable! :mad:

I would contact your bank/credit card company and tell them what has happened. I really do feel for you mate, I know how excited I can get when I am getting a new toy, especially a large display. Dont be put off buy this experiance. I have never heard of a smashed mirror on a rear pro, you are just really unlucky.

Here is an example of what you could get for around the same money. Just did a quick google and it threw up this display.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Samsung-SP56K...oryZ3320QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Who knows maybe this was meant to happen and you were meant to come here to avf and find out you can get more for your money. Fingers crossed for you pal. :)

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
You did pay by Credit Card, right?

If yes, then if the retailer fails you, your card issuer is jointly liable, so by all means get on to them. The same is not true with Debit cards and other methods of payment.

The following is publicly available "whois" information on the web site name above, in case you need it:

Domain name:
cheaptelly.co.uk

Registrant:
Flat TV Company

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
Lower Farm
Otmoor Lane
Beckley
Oxfordshire
OX3 9TD
GB

It pains me to say, but I paid by debit card :(.

Cheers anyway, guys. I appreciate your help. I will keep you informed of my progress.

It pains me to say, but I paid by debit card :(.

Cheers anyway, guys. I appreciate your help. I will keep you informed of my progress.

Was it a "Switch" or "Visa Delta" debit card?

"Visa Delta" actually does offer similar protection to that of a credit card - a little known fact.

Hope you don't have to resort to that route anyway.

Personally, I thing this damaged set is a 'blessing in disguise' - £669 is too much for a 42" Rear Pro set and you'll be able to get something better.

Personally, I thing this damaged set is a 'blessing in disguise' - £669 is too much for a 42" SD Rear Pro set and you'll be able to get something better.

Agreed. You can buy much better display for that money and with a HD resolution which should give you a better picture if used with a console/pc or a HD DVD/BlueRay player. Basically more upto date. :)

Unfortunately I paid by Switch/Maestro.

But yes, I hope I don't have to go down that route.

I'm intrigued by the fact that you can get better for cheaper. I'm annoyed with myself I didn't investigate more. I thought I'd found a bargain. Just got to make sure I deal with this before my 7 day "return" rights run out.

I think the set you bought is HD-ready (720p), as it's the 42" version of the 50" that I have (KDF-E50A12U). It's not a bad set (with an intact mirror of course), so there's no need to feel you've made a bad choice of TV.

Good luck with getting this sorted out!

I think the set you bought is HD-ready (720p), as it's the 42" version of the 50" that I have (KDF-E50A12U). It's not a bad set (with an intact mirror of course), so there's no need to feel you've made a bad choice of TV.

And 1080i of course which is even better.

Ah my bad I thought it was the older non HD model. :oops:

Not too bad a deal then, if it wasn't broken.

Just got a reply from the company. They asked me whether the packaging was damaged when I received it. Obviously it wasn't otherwise I wouldn't have accepted it. Asked for a refund. I await their reply!

If like you say, you have to go some way to smash a mirror in an RPTV, then I'm intrigued to know how it happened!

Just another update. Cheap Telly are collecting and refunding my money :smashin:. My search for a RPTV will soon begin once more!

Thanks for all your help and advice!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom