No phone socket upstairs what are my options

BritanniaJaf

Hopefully getting sky+ installed this weekend after an engineer no show last weekend (dont get me started)

Just realised am also getting sky + from a box i bought off of a friend which shouldnt' hopefully cause any problems, but there is no telephone socket up the stairs, would rather not get one to be honest.

What are my options, can sky refuse to install because of no telephone socket, is there any way i can get round this without the telephone socket

Had the same problem no telephone upstairs. The Sky engineer put a temp line in for me which is still in and is still working fine.

FRANTIC FRANC

Novice Member
Yes he can refuse it as leaving the cable loose is breaking Sky's H&S policy. Your options are.

1. put in your own telephone point using a kit under carpet etc.
2. get BT to put it in (costs £135)
3. Ask the engineer if he will put in an extenstion socket externally using external grade cable (most common fee charged £40 for this service)

Cheers, Franc

BritanniaJaf

Cheers guys, only problem is my telephone socket is basically at the other side of my house and no carpets, only laminate flooring,(my mrs idea:mad:

what do you think

tall.small

Standard Member
Hi

I recently had Sky multiroom installed with just the one phone socket. The sky engineer who did it said it was no problem and placed a splitter on the back of the main Sky+ box. He fed the both the sky cable and the TV cable together into the attic and down through ceiling into the corner of the bedroom. He did a really good neat job as well.

I emailed Sky before the installation, and they said it would be no problem as you can discuss cable run options when he arrives.

Hope this helps :)

FRANTIC FRANC

Novice Member
Hi

I recently had Sky multiroom installed with just the one phone socket. The sky engineer who did it said it was no problem and placed a splitter on the back of the main Sky+ box. He fed the both the sky cable and the TV cable together into the attic and down through ceiling into the corner of the bedroom. He did a really good neat job as well.

I emailed Sky before the installation, and they said it would be no problem as you can discuss cable run options when he arrives.

Hope this helps :)
:eek: he was risking his career then. We ARE NOT allowed to go into your attic - if he had put his foot through your ceiling Sky would not have paid for it leaving him an expensive personal claim all for the sake of probably £20 he earned doing the install . I hope you tipped him at least £20 for his kindness - shame on you if you didn't!

Cheers, Franc

Tesla

Novice Member
Maybe he was a subby?

When I was subbing as a Sky Installer I could do whatever I wanted as I have my own insurance policy, tools etc...

Obviously I could charge and invoice the customer for any additional work.

tall.small

Standard Member
Don't think he was a subby as he arrived in a green Sky branded van. Didn't think at the time of the implications if he fell through the ceiling.

Still did a good job though! :)

FRANTIC FRANC

Novice Member
Maybe he was a subby?

When I was subbing as a Sky Installer I could do whatever I wanted as I have my own insurance policy, tools etc...

Obviously I could charge and invoice the customer for any additional work.
If you haven't got a Sky badge number then you weren't a bonified contractor. The rules have been clear from day one. Sky have cracked down tremendously since the late 90's on anyone Sky or subby and if you are caught breaking H&S policies then you are thrown off site and put on suspension. What happened in the early days of Sky Digital contracting was given to various companies and those companies would basically just employ anyone who could use a drill - these people were never trained or informed of H&S.

Now if you are talking about installing independantly then correct you can do what ever you want to risk as you are not representing Sky.

Cheers, Franc

Kidders

Standard Member
I had a subby install multi-room yesterday. He put an extension socket in the bedroom and ran the cable down the front of the house and back in to the existing phone socket downstairs.

Tesla

Novice Member
If you haven't got a Sky badge number then you weren't a bonified contractor. The rules have been clear from day one. Sky have cracked down tremendously since the late 90's on anyone Sky or subby and if you are caught breaking H&S policies then you are thrown off site and put on suspension. What happened in the early days of Sky Digital contracting was given to various companies and those companies would basically just employ anyone who could use a drill - these people were never trained or informed of H&S.

Now if you are talking about installing independantly then correct you can do what ever you want to risk as you are not representing Sky.

Cheers, Franc
Well, the Sky badge is one cock-up in a long story (By Firstline). I completed all of their courses, even have all of my 100% test papers as proof. I sent them my photo and then never received anything!

I wasn't subbing for Sky, it was for Firstline. The complete company are a joke and I have no idea how they managed to obtain a contract with Sky.

I am now an independent amongst other things :)

FRANTIC FRANC

Novice Member
Well, the Sky badge is one cock-up in a long story (By Firstline). I completed all of their courses, even have all of my 100% test papers as proof. I sent them my photo and then never received anything!

I wasn't subbing for Sky, it was for Firstline. The complete company are a joke and I have no idea how they managed to obtain a contract with Sky.

I am now an independent amongst other things :)
Sounds just like all the other rip-off contractors that we are forced to work through so no change there. Now you mention it there was no H&S training back in the early days so we had no idea we could refuse some of the crazy stunts were we expected to perfrom in order to satisfy the customer. If you sub for Sky nowadays you have to have a phase 3 ladder certificate before you get any work and we are now informed of what we can't do any more.

Cheers, Franc

p.s. You can get your badge number from Sky if you can give them the aprox date of your course.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Netflix in October 2020. Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom