No pal prog firmwave upgrade for Toshibas.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ricky27, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Here it is,

More disappointing news comes from Tim Herring. He phoned Toshiba to see if its current range of DVD players could have their firmware upgraded via disc (such upgrades being a key selling point in Toshiba's marketing) to be PAL progressive compatible, but was told that they couldn't. On the plus side, though, Tosh did claim that all of its next-gen players WOULD be PAL progressive enabled.

Thanks for trying though Tim.But im not atall suprised at this.

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think Timh's working on the assumption that if he emails/phones them and asks enough times, Tosh will buckle and release an upgrade :)

I'm surprised a petition to Downing Street hasn't been mooted :D

3. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Time to sit back and save the pennies (pay of the bills) and wait for these new machines.

These manufacturers better hurry because price of current DVD stocks will plummet. I for one will not buy any of the current crop on offer Denon 3800 included.

I think spring 03 sounds like good time to be looking. We would be mad to spend before Pal progressive is included out of the box.

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    :D Fame at last :D

You bet :) I will email them again next month just to have a moan, afterall it doe's mention in my manual that it can be upgraded by a cdrom, why do Tosh brag about this and then not make use of it? I will be asking them this next month.

Cany all Toshiba progressive player owners also email them, we need as much people as possible to hassle them, as juboy said "Tosh will buckle and release an upgrade" hopefully.

I wonder if John Major owns a Toshiba dvd player ;)

5. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have a look at this thread on HCC's news section.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/new...emachoice.com/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=2292[/url]

Now surely, this is more than a little worrying, does it mean that the next gen players will not be released until CCA say "YES to PAL pal prog" or doe sit mean Tosh will release their next gen players with the hardware which will be Macrovision PAL Prog Compliant and when the CCA finally get theor asses in gear and say yes, they will then be able to release the update firmware?

Hmmm.....Kirky aint liking this much....

:(

6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would be an interesting exercise in consumer power (if such a thing really exists). As Timh points out, Tosh are happy to market and sell on the back of upgrade ability and if a majority of their purchasers demand the PAL prog update, maybe they might have a change of heart.

Unlikely but worth a try, after all, it takes only a few minutes to send an email every few weeks. It may end up that they release an upgrade to the 510 just to free up some of their support staff for other queries :)

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    Hope so :D

8. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think I am just in a pesimistic mood at the moment, but that article I linked to suggests that the current Tosh's will never be PAL modded (at least offcially) to enable prog scan as there appears to be something non compliant with the Macrovision standards, perhaps something that would allow the copy protection system to be circumvented,

I guess the upgrades would only be made available if Tosh release their next gen models without the PAL prog scan firmware, when (if) the CCA do their thang, and then Tosh release the appropriate updates.

On obvious question springs to mind tho.....what the smeg is wrong with the CCA? Why havn't they allowed PAL Prog Scan if Macrovision have been able to make the copy protection work for 18 months? sheesh.......bet they are arn't based in Europe!

:rolleyes:

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    your probably right but I hope your wrong.

I for one will never purchase another Toshiba dvd player if they fail to release a firmware update to allow progressive pal playback.
    Maybe a Panasonic to go with my Projector, or what about a Denon to match my ordered AVR-1803.

Or maybe a ProV to enable ntsc/pal progressive playback on my ptojector.