No Optical output, is it worth?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Oversleep, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Oversleep

Oversleep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Hi there

I recently join the SkyDigital with 3 mixs (entertainment, music, knowledge).
    I also got new standard skybox with the package.

Now... I realise that the new skybox (thomson model:121_039, Ver: 4E0904)does not have the optical output(digital). The old sony (5 yrs old) got one... I am bit concern that would not get the best sound out of my package.

1. I wonder if there is any channel in my package output the Dolby Digital signal.

2. Is it possible to use the old sony box? do i get any disadvantages, for example, picture quality, reception?

2. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    The old sony box was rare and a great box but a bit of a one off, now only the sky+ and HD boxes have optical output and even s-video is missing from the new one.

You can just use your old sony box if you like just swap the cards it shouldnt cause any problems. it will be much better pic and sound wise than the new white sky one

3. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    i very much doubt any of the channels you are watching are broadcast in dolby digital either so it wouldnt really matter. only some of the sky movies etc make it really worth it

4. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Yes, Sky movies on a Sky+ box, and Sky HD programmes on a Sky HD box are the only transmissions that are in Dolby Digital 5.1. A standard Sky box can only output in Dolby Pro-Logic at best, so analogue red and white cables will deliver as good a sound quality as an optical (or coaxial) digital cable anyway.