1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No one has mentioned Outrun2?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by sixspeed, Oct 16, 2003.

1. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Usually hang around in the Projection and Audio forums, but popped in here as I wanted to find out some more info about this game since first hearing about it a few months back... and realised no one has mentioned it yet (at least I didn't see it in the search).

http://www.the-magicbox.com/game082603d.htm

Loved the first version - used to play it in the arcades for hours at a time, and had it on my old Atari ST and C64... lol

The new version is meant to be out around Xmas... I hope so!!

-andy-

2. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Crap.. i thought I'd put this in the Console forum. Can a mod move it please?

-andy-

3. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not coming to XBox so my interest ends right here. Unless of course someone at Sega has a little too much saki and plans a PC version. In which case I'll start saving now for the upgrades, at least I'll have a couple of years or so to get the cash together.

4. sixspeed

sixspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Where have you heard that? Everything I have read so far seems to suggest that the Xbox is the only platform the game is coming out on?

-andy-

5. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The arcade version of Outrun 2 is running on the Chihiro board which is basically an Xbox.
    Seeing as the game isn't even out in the arcades yet it's a bit too early to be talking about home versions.

6. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely correct, the arcade version certainly does run on modified XBox hardware, despite that Sega will unfortunately not be doing a port for XBox and it is believed that poor hardware sales are the likely reason. The games affected are Outrun 2 and Virtua Cop 3, apparently Sega cannot justify the expense of a lighgun for VC3, again the reason is thought to be poor XBox hardware sales in Japan. To add insult to injury, Namco will not be releasing Kill Switch on XBox in Europe either, though getting hold of a Jap or USA version shouldn't be a problem.

Confirmed Sega games for XBox appear to be Sega GT Online, Sonic Heroes, Worms 3D and Headhunter: Redemption. I believe Outrun 2 on XBox would have been practically arcade perfect and easily better than the PS2 version, poor hardware sales cannot possibly be used as justification for not releasing US versions of the game surely?

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I'd be very surprised if microsoft would let this happen, well more hope really as i used to love outrun when i was younger and had high hopes for or2 especially as the arcade game is going to be using an xbox platform. You would think it would be pretty much a straight port over to the xbox :confused:

8. Bassline@ddict

Bassline@ddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm soooooo looking forward to this. The screenshots look excellent, pure SEGA arcade style:smashin:

Steve

9. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Whats the point of making an Arcade xbox board if the game then doesnt turn up on the home xbox?? Cant see M$ allowing this surely M$ could publish the game in the USA/Europe where the xbox is fairly strong.

10. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt very much that MS can publish Outrun 2 seeing as it is the property of Sega. Sega have bought modified XBox hardware specifically designed for an arcade machine, this doesn't give MS any rights to a conversion of any game that Sega decide to programme the hardware with. I can't see what publishing rights MS could possibly have just because Sega is using XBox hardware.

11. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats to stop Microsoft buying publishing rights (probably all regions)? Suppose Sega decide to put this onto PS2, either
    a) Microsoft let them (fat chance) Or
    b) Microsoft flash the cash in front of sega.

Sega are in a very strong financial position at the moment, and has just said they have already passed financial targets for the year. However Microsoft's resources are almost unlimited, and to make the XBox successful they need great games, Outrun2 and virtua cop 3 certainlly fit that bill. Believe me they WILL EVENTUALLY turn up on the XBox, but at what cost to Microsoft? Still they haven't said officially that it isn't coming to the XBox, MagicBox started this of, by quoting an anonymous insider, MaicBox have started loads of BS in thier time, and this has just spread like wildfire. Just wait and see, but by Christmas next year I'm pretty confident I'll be playing Outrun2 and virtua cop 3 on my XBox.

Rich

12. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MS can buy publishing rights provided they are up for grabs. If Sony made a deal with Sega for the home version to be exclusive to PS2 that would be one of many instances where MS could not buy publishing rights. But even if they did they would still need to find a codeshop to programme the conversion.

Indeed they do, and I for one would love an XBox version as, like I said before, I believe it would be the best version. It appears though that the current situation is that Japanese hardware sales of XBox are too low for Sega to justify the cost of a conversion. The same goes for VC3 but it has the added disadvantage of the cost implication associated with an official lightgun peripheral.

13. phenom2003

phenom2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But a conversion would be relativly simple and a team of 10-20 people could do it in a month easily, I believe (as with HOTD3) that the code can actually be put straight onto the XBox, and be edited from there (although this could be BS). But Sony's chance of striking a deal with Sega would be slim, Microsft would make a loss on the deal to create a larger userbase, especially Japan. The only stumbling block could be extras, VC3, no extras = no one cares, outrun2 no extras = LOTS of complaints, gun games gan just bang bang, all day, and it's still enjoyable, with racing games, you'll want loads of cars, modes, tracks, etc. I believe this will wake Microsft up, and even launch a bid for Sega at any cost. If Sega GT online sells well worldwide I think a conversion of outrun 2 will be likely, VC3 will depend on how other gun games do on other consoles.

Rich