No OLED. Qled vs nanocell vs...sony?

Bokka

Novice Member
Hello everyone!

By Christmas, if I find a good offer, I should change the TV in the living room.
I currently have a Samsung UE50NU7400 with which I am happy, but due to the premature demise of their TV I will pass it on to my in-laws.

I am very undecided on three models, in particular on:

Sony X90J (2021 series) 65 "
LG Nanocell 65NANO916
Samsung Series 9 QE65Q95TCT

Now, the only certainties I have are the following:
1) The new TV must have a 65 "screen
2) For a question of prices I do NOT evaluate OLED models
3) I will mainly use it in a room with the light on, rarely in the dark
4) The distance between the sofa and the TV is about 2.5 meters
5) I connect an Xbox Series S to it (maybe someday I'll switch to a Series X, but it's difficult)
6) No Hisense
7) I have a budget of around 1000 euros

Until a few days ago I was undecided on between Samsung and LG, but lately Sony has also entered the rankings.

I use a lot of applications like YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Video and Disney +, but I also watch digital TV (especially wife and daughter).

Now I ask you: among the models I have indicated, in your opinion which is the best? I know that the perfect TV doesn't exist, but I can't decide between those three models.
Furthermore, as a digital terrestrial signal, in particular as upscaling and final rendering of the image, always in anticipation of DVB-T2 which of these models is better in your opinion?

But the most important thing is: compared to my current TV, regardless of the model I'm going to choose, will you notice the difference in the images immediately at the first impact?

A thousand thanks!

Dodgexander

The LG is not worth contemplating, they are behind the TVs with LCD TVs for years now.

The Samsung is a 2020 model, top of the range, whilst the Sony is 2021 placed about 4th most expensive in their lineup and only the second best LCD they make in 2021 behind the X95J.

Therefore the 2020 Samsung is definitely the better TV of the 3 overall, and the only one that can be considered 'True HDR' with more than 1000 nits peak brightness and good local dimming.

Since you are watching content that includes HDR in Amazon, Netflix and Disney then this TV will give you the best picture quality with those sources, and unlike the Sony X90J will not be too dark or flat in some titles.

Samsung/Sony both have class leading upscaling, although beware of using an external tuner because if that tuner outputs an already upscaled image, the upscaling of the TV is redundant.

Bokka

Novice Member
The LG is not worth contemplating, they are behind the TVs with LCD TVs for years now.

The Samsung is a 2020 model, top of the range, whilst the Sony is 2021 placed about 4th most expensive in their lineup and only the second best LCD they make in 2021 behind the X95J.

Therefore the 2020 Samsung is definitely the better TV of the 3 overall, and the only one that can be considered 'True HDR' with more than 1000 nits peak brightness and good local dimming.

Since you are watching content that includes HDR in Amazon, Netflix and Disney then this TV will give you the best picture quality with those sources, and unlike the Sony X90J will not be too dark or flat in some titles.

Samsung/Sony both have class leading upscaling, although beware of using an external tuner because if that tuner outputs an already upscaled image, the upscaling of the TV is redundant.

Thanks a lot for the answer! but i ask you one thing: i saw that samsung does not support dolby vision, which from what i have read is supported by disney + and netflix, while they do not support hdr10 +. Do you feel this lack when you look at the various contents?

Dodgexander

Thanks a lot for the answer! but i ask you one thing: i saw that samsung does not support dolby vision, which from what i have read is supported by disney + and netflix, while they do not support hdr10 +. Do you feel this lack when you look at the various contents?
If you are comparing like for like maybe, but you are comparing the Samsung to models that are a lot worse at displaying HDR to begin with, so the Samsung will be better.

How the the local dimming and brightness of a TV (and in turn, colour coverage, volume etc ) comes first before the formats of HDR the TV supports. With Dolby Vision content, the Samsung will use the HDR10 part of the layer to still provide those titles in HDR, and it will do so more impressively than the other TVs in your list.

If you are looking for an alternative with Dolby Vision support then there's Sony with the X95J or last years XH9505, but these lack support for HDR10+ on Amazon unlike Samsung, so you gain Dolby Vision support, but loose HDR10+.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Poor and expensive.

Panasonic, like LG, hasn't made a good high end LCD in years.

Dolby Vision, while it's nice to have it, you still get HDR and you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between them unless you had 2 TV's side by side playing the same content.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom