No need for Sky - what are my options

Status
Not open for further replies.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pay 37.25 for the Entertainment Extra HD pack

The only thing I watched from Sky itself last month was Arrow, this month I admit I will watch Game of Thrones, but as good as it is, its not worth £40 a month, especially when I will buy the blu ray when it comes out

What are my alternatives ?
We dont have an aerial so satellite reception would be best choice
We need ability to record to hard drive but dont need any sort of catch up service to be honest
We have a 1TB Sky box, its never been anything more than 12% full - so dont need loads space
Want ability to get the HD channels

Ideal, as with the sky box, want some form of RF out so can send picture to second TV upstairs

What are my options ?

A generic fta satellite pvr may suit or a freesat pvr if you want the convenience of a proper epg. Whatever you get you can always add an external modulator to create the RF out you require.

Any of the human boxes have the rf thing built in ?
Is there a "best" box to get,

a) Without a subscription your existing Sky box will not record.(But will receive Freesat channels, other than Ch5 and Ch5HD)
b) I do not know if Freesat receivers have an RF output - you will have to check.

Cheers
What the cheapest option with sky to get recording function ?
So I know what to ask for when calling to downgrade

If they still offer it, around £10.25/mo. You will have to call them.

a) Without a subscription your existing Sky box will not record.(But will receive Freesat channels, other than Ch5 and Ch5HD)
b) I do not know if Freesat receivers have an RF output - you will have to check.

They don't. An external modulator is required.

Any of the human boxes have the rf thing built in ?
Is there a "best" box to get,

No. As to best box it depends on what you want. The cheapest in production option is the single tuner HB1000S which records to an external usb drive.

Cheers for answers
I will give sky a call and see if can get the 10 or so option

Why do you say that? We do not know what box the OP has.

Simple - afaik no freesat receiver has rf out. Certainly no current model does and pretty sure any previous models never did. It wasn't part of the G1 freesat spec.

The OP doesn't have a box, he's asking which box to buy.

Triax make the tri-link kit to emulate rf2 out and magic eyes for kit without the system built in.

The OP doesn't have a box, he's asking which box to buy.

We have a 1TB Sky box, its never been anything more than 12% full - so dont need loads space
Want ability to get the HD channels

Ideal, as with the sky box, want some form of RF out so can send picture to second TV upstairs

??????????

Sorry. I have no freesat box
I would want a freesat box that had ability to output 2 x hdmi or 1 hdmi and 1 rf

I think what I'll so is call sky and try get it so I just have record ability

Humax Foxsat HDR plus Rf modulator = £150ish one off cost.
Paying Sky for recording = £123ish per year ongoing.
:D

Humax Foxsat HDR plus Rf modulator = £150ish one off cost.
Paying Sky for recording = £123ish per year ongoing.
:D

You can also add about £25.00 or so extra electricity running costs unless (which seems unlikely) the OP has a new box with the low power sby capability.

Out of interest, what channels do I get from sky box with no subscription at all ?

Thinking could just put that in bedroom, as long as can get bbc 1 etc the wife be happy and no need for second output from a free sat

What's best freesat to go for then ?

Looking at the humax freesat hd 1000s
200 quid, will keep mrs happy as seems just what she needs also and cancel sky

Paid for self in 5 months
After that in profit

Guess always now tv if desperate for sky

Take out your card to find out!
You're paying too much - EE+ is £32.

Take out your card to find out!
You're paying too much - EE+ is £32.

Cheers
I'm thinking that and even 32 is too much

Gonna call and cancel

How long you been paying the £5.25 for films you don't get?
I agree.

Ah, SN had the answer!

call to cancel sky started 7 minutes ago, they seem keen for me to stay ! its the old "slow computer" part

Out of interest, what channels do I get from sky box with no subscription at all ?

Thinking could just put that in bedroom, as long as can get bbc 1 etc the wife be happy and no need for second output from a free sat

What's best freesat to go for then ?

There's a very few extra (FTV (Free To View) channels) as a result of your expired subscription card working as a Freesat from Sky card.

FREESAT from Sky - Call now to order

Your choice of a HDR1000s is a good one, to make the best use of it you really need to connect it to a home network which isn't difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom