1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No need for external analogue tuners?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Kirk, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am looking at buying either a Panasonic TH-37PWD4, Panasonic TH-42PWD4 or a Toshiba 42PW16. Now, these are all basically the same Plasma Panels.

I have a Pace Sky Digibox, Panasonic A160 DVD player (will be replaced later wth a Prog Scan effort) and a Panasonic VHS.

I am right in saying that once I replace the DVD player with a prog scan Component Outpout player and I purchase a RGB-S-Video converter for the Sky box, I won't need to worry about adding in an external Tuner box for the Plasma Panny's?

I believe that all the terestrial chanels should be available via the Sky (S-Video) connection?

I hope I am right, as it would save about £500 :D

2. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    spot on, no need for a tuner box. basicly all they give you is a tuner and poor scart to 15pin d-sub conversion, also if you like your current dvd player why not consider saving some more cash and looking at prov , that way you can link your dvd,sky and,vhs to it and have them all in prog scan! all youl have to do is use a svid switch box

cheers
    lee

3. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Intersting Idea! Thx m8

4. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Don't get the RGB to S-video convertor... Not as good a picture as the RGB to VGA convertor. After you've spent nearly 4 grand on a TV what is the point of compromising? Then get a component out DVD player and connect it to the free component RCA jacks on the screen. Hey presto and you're in business! If you still want to connect the VHS, then use the RGB pass thru on the Sky box.

Regards
    Andrew

5. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Andrew,

U am dee man!

Thankx for all your advice.

Kirk

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Kirk

Sort of nearly correct on the plasma front:

The TH-37PWD4BX is 'normally' supplied with the plug in RCA terminal board for Composite, S-Video and RGB or Component video.

The TH-42PWD4BX is 'normally' supplied with the BNC terminal board for Composite, S-Video and RGB or Component video and there is also an optional DVI board that can replace the BNC board.

The Toshiba 42PW16 (clone of the TH-42PW4B Silver Panasonic) is supplied with in-built Composite, S-Video and RGB or Component video sockets (RCA).

As per previous posts the best picture quality from your SKY box will be achieved using the JS Technology RGB to VGA plasma interface - you can connect this into either the VGA port or the RGBHV terminals (you just need the correct cable); if you are planning on a Progressive Scan DVD player with Component out its best to wire the SKY box via the JS Tech converter into the VGA 15 pin socket (assuming you don't want to have a PC in your system).

I would not bother with a ProV or any other external video processor (iScan etc) at this time - Panasonics in-built scan converter is very good and I would put the cash towards a better DVD player.

I'm not sure about Andrews RGB pass through on the SKY box for your VHS deck - unless your VHS can somehow output RGB it wont work (maybe I'm wrong here - someone with a similar system can confirm); normally I would expect to see a SCART connection between the VHS deck and the 'VCR' SCART on the SKY box to give you Composite recordings from SKY and then if your VCR has a second SCART or Video out this would be fed separately to the Composite in on the plasma.

I trust this all helps - a little.

Best regards

Joe

7. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Joe (et al)

I was only really guessing about the VHS... I don't have one and don't want one! With the fairly poor quality of VHS and it recording an analogue signal I can see the reasoning for it only being a composite signal. My advice is to get a Tivo! Great analogue tuner that outputs RGB, the ability to use it to output your Sky digibox in RGB too and tapeless recording. Perfection!

Sorry for any confusion
    Andrew

8. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Joe/Andrew,

Thanks for the further insight (you guys should work for HCC :D ) I am learning loads from u 2!

I am definately heading the Toshes direction at the moment, and I agree on the RGB-VGA box.

Where I have a slight concern, is over the VHS....I will probably just not bother with it as I only ever occasionaly use it for recording something I just don't wann miss "rare" as I only ever CONCERN myself over my DVD collection & F1 races! :p

To further expand on your point over the Prg Scan DVD, do you have any good vibes towards a particular set of players to have a looksee at? I must admit I have brand allegiance to Panny, but at this price point and the critical nature of Plasma sources....I am not being silly about my choices!!

Thankx again chaps, u really are helping me out big time!

9. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Kirk

What price DVD player do you want? Do you want it right away?

Regards
    Andrew

10. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dunno really, but I guess maxing out around £500-600.......I will need to get it at the same time as my Plasma screen as I won't be getting the External tuners (which would have given me the Scart needed for my existing effort)

I have not bought the plasma yet as I am still decorating and renovating my new flat.....but I am getting near.

:D