No need for analogue tuner with plasma?

dazed&confused

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok, if I've read all these posts correctly then (with my limited budget) the plasma screen for me is the Panasonic PW7 (£999 from Richer Sounds).

The general advice seems to be to not bother with an analogue tuner and just use a freeview box. At the moment though, when I use my Yamaha DSP-AX 750SE amplifier (and Castle Compast Speakers), I think that terrestrial TV actually sounds quite superior to digital. It seems to have a wider bandwidth and to sound better with music especially. Am I doing something wrong?

If analogue is better, can anyone recommend a tuner (suitable for the PW7)with freeview in it as well, preferably to go nicely with the Yamaha amp?

Another thing I'm confused about is that everyone seems to recommend using
a "js RGB to VGA converter" for connecting things to the plasma. Am I correct in thinking that in my case, with the Yamaha amp seemingly having 'video upconversion', I would be better just plugging everything into the amp and then connecting that to the plasma by component video leads? If so, should I get a board with component only or something else as well just in case?

Thanks.

close, a DVDR will have an analogue tuner.....
as for amp you cn do that but will get better #pq from a FV box with RGB output and your amp wont take RGB can use JS RGB>YUV converter tho and run evrything else via amp to a component board......

Thanks for the reply. If I just tell you what I think you told me, could you say if my translation is correct? Plus a few questions in reply..

I think you are telling me to have 1) a DVDR for the analogue tuner and 2) a Freeview (FV) box for digital. I then need to get a 'JS RGB.YUV convertor' to plug the FV box into my amplifier.

Am I right in thinking that the RGB is a scart? What is YUV? Will I be able to connect the DVDR to the amp with component video leads? Why can't you get a FV box with component video leads? What about a hard disk recorder?

Many thanks

Isn't there a Sony freeview DVDR? And there are now bucket loads of HDD freeview boxes, I think the Thompson one has the best spec, being twin tuner and all that, ie watch one and record another. I think you should find there is more info on a digital soundtrack, maybe you need to try a different freeview box, with optical out, shift the D/A conversion to the Yamaha.

Thanks Maw and Dragon.

I would prefer the opition of only dealing with one tuner so obviously if I could get a rich, full sound from digitial that would be great. At the moment I have a panasonic FV box I got given and don't mind replacing it al all. A few more questions then

1) Maw, what is the model number of the Thompson one? Also, I always got the impression that Thompson were not a very good make.

2) any other recommendations for a FV box with excellent sound? (and picture and user friendliness of course) My preferred option would be Freeview plus HDD in one box and preferably, as Maw highlighted, to be able to watch and record simultaneously (two tuners).

It would be great if Yamaha did one in Titanium, to go with my other kit.

3) Is a digital output from a source (like a Freeview box or DVD recorder) as effective as component? Would I be better using opitical or coax?

Thanks.

'Real' hi fi makers don't seem to do HDD freeview, only Hauppage, Thompson and Pace have made a big thing of it. Pace seem to have quietly dropped the twin after a burst of negative publicity over software bugs, Hauppage are single tuner, so a class of 1 remains. I have heard little about the Thompson, maybe I'd better buy one ad find out!

the TUCT100 is being launched again by panny......over 12 months late already Humax do a single tuner tuner too..I own a THOMSON DTI2300 FV box and will never buy another thomson!!!!! the PVR may well be better tho!give it 6.12 months and dual/tri tuner, DVB, HDD,DVDR in a box will be around

Thanks guys.

In that case, what about the Sony Freeview DVDR? Would you happen to know the model MAW so I can have a look for it? And where would you suggest trying to find a review?

Thanks.

Hi there,

There is a Sony Freeview DVDR (RDR-GXD500) which, unless I am very much mistaken, will also convert RGB, S-Video and Composite input signals into Component output.

I use a related model, the GX700 which doesn't feature the tuner but that's because I have Sky+ instead. And it does all the above upconversion... amazing bit of kit, actually.

Cheers,

Andy

Thanks for that Fank.

Would you say the Fusion has as full and wide sterio sound as analogue, terrestrial signals? And what video and audio outputs does it have.

I tried to follow you link but the page just wouldn't open.

I got a PW7 from Digital Direct for £1059 inc a scart board and delivery.
Richer Sound don't include a scart board (£150).

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom